• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400, quick few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtisbouvier

Registered
what are the acceptable temperatures for this cpu before it will become unstable due to over heating?

I have mine running at 3.6 GHz right now on stock voltage, I was wondering what you guys would recommend for 3.89GHz, I was running at that speed for a bit, and prime 95 had no problems after 1 hour of running the torture test. again on stock voltage.

but games were acting flakey... so I set it back and everything seems normal again. (weird things going on, occasional blue screen, slow alt tabs, weird lag issues with windows itself)

so I'm thinking I might need to bring the voltage up a tad for 3.89ghz.

my temperatures are about 30c-34c on load at 3.6ghz

and about 38c-42c on load at 3.89GHz

what do you guys think?

He's in Canada eh? Maybe he gets glacial air :)

Yeah if you didn't even touch voltage to do 3.8 it's a pretty good chip, unless maybe you left it on 'auto' and your motherboard upped the voltage for you. CPU-Z would show the current approximate voltage. Those temps certainly are nice for full load, was that P95 small FFT?

the comment on glacial air is actually correct lol!

I have my window open and its about 5-10 degrees celcius outside every day, so my room is about maybe 10-12 degrees at the most.

CPU heat sink is a Noctua NH-U12P

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27130&vpn=NH-U12P&manufacture=Noctua

not sure about auto voltage, just got home from work, gonna go check right now!

Continued:

Alright yea, voltage is set for auto, and @ 3.89GHz, shes running 50C right on the money, this is with prime95 torture test, set for small FFT's. and its been running for about 45 minutes now.

voltage is currently @ 1.312v

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1813/stats1a.png

note: I had no idea about real temp, i'm using it now and the temps went up a bit, my last source was unreliable..

Last edited:
From my point of view is a perfect CPU temperature. A perfect outside temperature and a perfect heatsink too. :p

alright, I ran prime 95 on small FFT for 4 hours,

0 warnings, 0 errors.

50c the whole time.

would you guys say this is safe to leave it?

I've found the Intel Burn Test (v2) is one of the best programs to see what your temps can really get up to on load. Set to maximum stress level and run a few loops. Temps will get higher than you have probably ever seen with Prime etc.

Back