• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RADEON X1900XT POWERING DOWN NO IMAGE ON MONITOR PLEASE HELP ME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loopylulu

Registered
My problem is the following:

First of all I am a little savvy when it comes to computers but not that technical. Sorry for being so long winded but I need to be complete.

Within the last month if I am playing a game such as COD4 or FEAR 2 my radeon X19000XT 512 meg card will power down and there is nothing displayed on my Samsung T220 except a message that flips between the words digital/analog. I always run my ati fan at 100% when playing games since my computer is a compaq which is not exactly a great gaming computer but I am running 2 gigs of ram to make up for a slower AMD chip.
I was recently having many problems with artifacts until I cleaned the dust and they all went away especially in COD4 but still COD4 will freeze and then the monitor goes blank with that message about analog/digital.

I am not sure whether this is a problem with the monitor or the GPU or the power supply. I am begging you to help me. I did purchase the GPU and power supply used and it has been working fine for over a year now with no real problems. I do clean it on occasion as it sits in a computer desk enclosed in a small space so lots of dust.

I was playing FEAR 2 last night and suddenly the image disappeared but I could hear all the sounds as though it was still playing so not really sure again whether it is the card or the monitor. I do not think a faulty monitor would cause a GPU to power down would it?

I just came up now with my computer sitting idle, I was not playing a game and I noticed that there was nothing on the monitor except a message that said ( not optimum mode ) recommended mode 1680x1250 which is what my resolution is always set at.

Please somebody help me I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not really sure as if I'm much help but it can either be the moniter or the card, and if you want to try connecting the card to a different moniter or television if you have that accepts vga or dvi. and as for the moniter, does it only turn off when gaming, what about when just doing some multitasking.

My problem is the following:

First of all I am a little savvy when it comes to computers but not that technical. Sorry for being so long winded but I need to be complete.

Within the last month if I am playing a game such as COD4 or FEAR 2 my radeon X19000XT 512 meg card will power down and there is nothing displayed on my Samsung T220 except a message that flips between the words digital/analog. I always run my ati fan at 100% when playing games since my computer is a compaq which is not exactly a great gaming computer but I am running 2 gigs of ram to make up for a slower AMD chip.
I was recently having many problems with artifacts until I cleaned the dust and they all went away especially in COD4 but still COD4 will freeze and then the monitor goes blank with that message about analog/digital.

I am not sure whether this is a problem with the monitor or the GPU or the power supply. I am begging you to help me. I did purchase the GPU and power supply used and it has been working fine for over a year now with no real problems. I do clean it on occasion as it sits in a computer desk enclosed in a small space so lots of dust.

I was playing FEAR 2 last night and suddenly the image disappeared but I could hear all the sounds as though it was still playing so not really sure again whether it is the card or the monitor. I do not think a faulty monitor would cause a GPU to power down would it?

I just came up now with my computer sitting idle, I was not playing a game and I noticed that there was nothing on the monitor except a message that said ( not optimum mode ) recommended mode 1680x1250 which is what my resolution is always set at.

Please somebody help me I would greatly appreciate it.

IT has to be something to do with your card/driver. I suggest reinstalling your catalyst drivers, if that doesn't help let us know.

X1900XT CRASHING LIKE CRAZY SUDDENLY

I reinstalled the drivers a few times, I am running 2 gigs of ram with a compaq athlon 2.41. Everytime it crashes in the event viewer it registers event ID 877 error processing the driver database.

My voltage indicator on ati tray tools has a yellow exclamation mark beside it, I was wondering is that part of the menu or is it telling me there is something wrong,

my card is running at default settings, core at 499.50 and memory at 594.00, can I change this with my specs.

My voltage is at 1.2000 for GPU, 2.0861 for memory and the same for IO memory. I know nothing about voltage and whether or not to play with the core/memory settings.

I have been using the catalyst 7.6 as they seem to be pretty stable according to many. I tried 8.12 or 8.11 a little while ago but did not like them.

COD4 is locking up now, I have to leave the side of the computer off with the radeon fan running at 100% to ensure the artifacts are minimal to non-existent which my wife hates as the computer looks ugly just sitting outside of the desk when I am using it. I certainly agree it is quite annoying.

Should I even look at overclocking my card using ati try tools. I certainly know nothing about overclocking and frankly it scares the heck out of me.

It seems to only crash when I am playing games and once or twice while I am simply surfing the internet, my Samsung T220 shuts down and blinks.

Please help me. I am not technical enough to know whether it is the GPU or the power supply or the monitor or something entirely different.

thank you

Last edited:
I reinstalled the drivers a few times, I am running 2 gigs of ram with a compaq athlon 2.41. Everytime it crashes in the event viewer it registers event ID 877 error processing the driver database.

My voltage indicator on ati tray tools has a yellow exclamation mark beside it, I was wondering is that part of the menu or is it telling me there is something wrong,

my card is running at default settings, core at 499.50 and memory at 594.00, can I change this with my specs.

My voltage is at 1.2000 for GPU, 2.0861 for memory and the same for IO memory. I know nothing about voltage and whether or not to play with the core/memory settings.

I have been using the catalyst 7.6 as they seem to be pretty stable according to many. I tried 8.12 or 8.11 a little while ago but did not like them.

COD4 is locking up now, I have to leave the side of the computer off with the radeon fan running at 100% to ensure the artifacts are minimal to non-existent which my wife hates as the computer looks ugly just sitting outside of the desk when I am using it. I certainly agree it is quite annoying.

Should I even look at overclocking my card using ati try tools. I certainly know nothing about overclocking and frankly it scares the heck out of me.

It seems to only crash when I am playing games and once or twice while I am simply surfing the internet, my Samsung T220 shuts down and blinks.

Please help me. I am not technical enough to know whether it is the GPU or the power supply or the monitor or something entirely different.

thank you

Ok first of all, you are most likely experiencing temperature issues. Download Rivatuner (just google it), and check the temp monitor, give us a screenshot of your temps when you are in the middle of a COD4 session. Have you cleaned your case out? Have you ever taken off the VGA heatsink, and re-seated it with some new thermal paste?

You should not be getting artifacts without any overclock, unless that thing is scorching hot. Btw, you may want to consider a new video card, the X1900XT was great a few years back, but COD4 on 1680x1050 may need something a bit newer.

keep in mind the X1900 series was surpassed by 2900 series,the HD3x00 series and the HD4x00 series

rivatuner results

well I found one problem which was I was running catalyst 7.10 in stead of 7.6 for some reason....even still I know i had this problem when I was running 7.6. I did clean the video card which had a lot of dust so maybe that was causing the initial problem and then when i tried different drivers I accidentally used the 7.1's which are possibly less stable. Anyways I am running COD4 in the background for the last 5-10 minutes and no artifacts or problems and the computer is sitting inside the desk so the temps are fine, I could not get a screenshot from rivatuner as it was too large, my temps are below 50 which is fine for running at maximum resolution. Is the voltage temperature normal at 61 degrees?

I will monitor over the next few days and get back to you if I still have the same problem,

also would you be able to tell me whether or not I can try overclocking my card using ati tray tools from my previously posted specs.

Is it worth it, I do not want to damage my card but I would imagine I can OC it a little. what would you recommend?

thanks for all your help so far.

well I found one problem which was I was running catalyst 7.10 in stead of 7.6 for some reason....even still I know i had this problem when I was running 7.6. I did clean the video card which had a lot of dust so maybe that was causing the initial problem and then when i tried different drivers I accidentally used the 7.1's which are possibly less stable. Anyways I am running COD4 in the background for the last 5-10 minutes and no artifacts or problems and the computer is sitting inside the desk so the temps are fine, I could not get a screenshot from rivatuner as it was too large, my temps are below 50 which is fine for running at maximum resolution. Is the voltage temperature normal at 61 degrees?

I will monitor over the next few days and get back to you if I still have the same problem,

also would you be able to tell me whether or not I can try overclocking my card using ati tray tools from my previously posted specs.

Is it worth it, I do not want to damage my card but I would imagine I can OC it a little. what would you recommend?

thanks for all your help so far.

you can always overclock, especially now that you fixed your cooling problem :). I wouldn't go too far though, I'd just save up for a newer card to be honest. If you get 101 posts on this forum, you can access the classifieds section where people are selling 4850's for below $100! That would mark an upgrade of cosmic proportions for you :)

problem has returned

Well my problem has returned. I just cannot predict when it is going to happen. I got rid of catalyst 7.6 and tried the very latest 9.3 and so far COD has not crashed but now assassins creed is freezing during the loading screen every now and then. Again not able to predict. Maybe it is a heating issue but again how will I ever know for sure. I want to wait on buying a new computer once windows 7 comes out and the latest dx11 cards start coming out at the end of this year and early next year.

I checked my cpu and core temperatures and my cpu fan speed. My CPU fan is running at 1400 rpm approx. It does not increase when I am playing games which I thought was strange but maybe that is normal. The cpu temp is normal using speedfan but it did have a little flame sign every now and then beside the core temp which was around 50 degrees. Not sure whether that is high.

Maybe it is a bad video card but I do not want to buy a new one if this is not the problem. Again maybe it is my antec Neo-HE 500w PSU but how would I know for sure.

I have checked all connections. The GPu does feel very hot sometimes but again i run its fan at 100%.

When I run ati tray tools there is a little ! exclamation mark beside the word voltage on the menu. Is that exclamation mark usually there? I do not want to play with the voltage.

I have not overclocked the card. I read about changing the thermal paste. Would that do it. Can you instruct me how to do this and what to be careful of.

thanks again.

Back