• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot should a heatsink be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zetsumei

Registered
I have got a scyte mugen 2 heasink and fan.
And im wondering how hot should the blades of the heatsinc be pretty much, when the core temperature is 70°C.

I want to make sure that its mounted correct because it doesnt seem to feel hot at all.

I think the better questions are:

1) What processor do you have
2) What is your full system specs (including case/etc)
3) How fast is your processor running
4) What voltage are you running the processor at?
5) What temperature do you get with it fully loaded up (Use Prime95, run the test "Small FFT")

The blades of the heatsink will vary with load, fans, ambient temperature and system settings. That makes it a very poor indicator of the CPU temperature and mounting quality.

Depends....

But I go by the touch test -- if you can't hold your finger on the heatsink for more than 2-3 seconds its too hot ;)

Touch test is still good

Modern heatsink

heatsink warm/hot= working but not properly. Mount is good but case flow or fan flow is bad

warm/cool = everything is good

cool/cold = mount is bad. fan flow is good.

Just a guess though

Touch test is still good

Modern heatsink

heatsink warm/hot= working but not properly. Mount is good but case flow or fan flow is bad

warm/cool = everything is good

cool/cold = mount is bad. fan flow is good.

Just a guess though

Ideally cool/cold with a good mount, though. ^_^

Back