• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

28PPD using Notfred's VMWare

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blazing fire

I'll let the pics do the talking. What's wrong?

Also, my team does not change even after I've click on the "reconfigure this host and any USB drives" hyperlink, and click on the Reconfigure button.

I've enabled "vanderpool technology", which I think is virtualisation

PS: Sorry for posting this problem in multiple areas. I'll delete them asap.

Attachments

• 28PPD.PNG
    28PPD.PNG
    41.7 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Any chance you can post up a copy of your log file wrapped in code tags? I won't be able to read it from the BlackBerry, but someone may be able to come around shortly to check it out. Also just to make sure, a copy of your client.cfg in code tags. You can open it with something similar to notepad. Also, how are your priorities and affinities set? We will do everything we can to help you get this worked out.

Oh... Forgive me please. I don't know much about the software aspect of computers.

Is this the cfg file you requested?

Code:
[settings]
username=notfred2630
team=2630
passkey=
asknet=no
bigpackets=big
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080

[core]
checkpoint=15

[clienttype]
type=3

That is the client.cfg we needed. Also, if you could do the exact same with fahlog.txt we will be able to look at what is going on. How long has the client been running? Also, complete system specs can help us out a little more. Again, I am posting from my BlackBerry, so if your system specs are in your sig, I am sorry that I can't see them. Sigs don't show up in the mobile version.

Yes, Vanderpool technology is the same as Virtualization.

First, let's get your folding name and team number, configured right.

Go to your VMPlayer folding info page and click on the Configure link about 2/3rd down the page, on the left side.

When the page with editable fields is showing, change your folding handle and team number, and click on the link to signify that you're done editing. In 12 seconds or so the OLD data will again be displayed.

You don't care. Exit the browser, and click on "VMPlayer" on the top bar of the VMPlayer window. Choose "Troubleshooting, and then "Power off and exit".

When the warning window pops up, just continue with the power off and shut down.

Now start it up again, and your new client.cfg file will be read and your new folding name will be displayed if you go to your VMPlayer folding info page.

Don't just exit the VMPlayer the normal way - that only suspends the player, and new client info is only read when the client starts up. You may set an option in VMWare so it will always power off and shut down when you exit, if you like.

Now, let's find out what's slowing down the VMPlayer. Remember that the VMPlayer will only recognize 2 cpu's (the free version). So if you have a Quad core cpu, one NotFred's should use only 50% of your cpu, as shown in Task Manager (right click on the Bottom Bar of your desktop and select it, then click on the "Performance" tab).

If you have hyperthreading, and it's enabled in the BIOS, then it will show all your hyper cores as well, as part of the percentage being used - so instead of 50%, it would be just 25% for an i7 with ht enabled).

Now stop the GPU from folding, and let's see at least three frames (percent steps) on the VMPlayer, with FahMon. (You did check that it was a virtual machine client, right?).
:p :p :p

If not, click in FahMon on Edit This Client, and check the virtual machine check box, and save that anew. *Now* get your 3 frames and let's see if that doesn't help things out. :cool:

If it folds OK, and FahMon reports it OK, then go ahead and re-start the GPU folding. This should slow down the cpu folding by a 1% only. If not, then we look for other software that is using your cpu cycles, with task manager (by clicking on the %CPU tab under "Processes".

I'm writing this from memory on a Linux machine I've been re-building. I don't have a VMPlayer client running atm, so if you find something wrong, don't hesitate to speak up.

YHPM. Also, as stated in the PM, unless I am mistaken on your CPU, it is a dual core, so if what Adak has suggested works, you should only need one running. We usually tend to recommend running the MPICH Windows SMP client until you are comfortable with the clients before moving to VM's. That is the reason for the recommendation for it in the PM.

Now stop the GPU from folding, and let's see at least three frames (percent steps) on the VMPlayer, with FahMon. (You did check that it was a virtual machine client, right?).
:p :p :p

If not, click in FahMon on Edit This Client, and check the virtual machine check box, and save that anew. *Now* get your 3 frames and let's see if that doesn't help things out. :cool:

Thanks for the informative trouble shooting procedure! I've finally managed to change my team and name. However, I don't see the "virtual machine check box"

YHPM. Also, as stated in the PM, unless I am mistaken on your CPU, it is a dual core, so if what Adak has suggested works, you should only need one running. We usually tend to recommend running the MPICH Windows SMP client until you are comfortable with the clients before moving to VM's. That is the reason for the recommendation for it in the PM.

Received!

Yup, it's a dual core. Yes, I'm only running one VMWare. Not to worry! I've been using the MPICH for quite some time already.

Now that I've got my VMWare up and running, I think I'll leave it as such for the moment, until some errors come up. :bday:

Thanks all! I'm now having 2.5k PPD for my VMWare.

This is it:

This pic is a bit smaller than I'd like, but it's 3/4th's the way to the bottom, and in the center. A small check box and the text "Client is on a Virtual Machine".

Just check the box, and click OK button. Then click on Client tab, and "reload client", and it should be all set.

Attachments

• th_FahMon23991.png
    th_FahMon23991.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 167
Edit/Update: Problem solved. Starting Notfred's in VMware (with 2 cores) allowed configuration update. Switching back to VirtualBox (with 4 cores) kept the updated username and other configuration settings. Thanks for all of the good information.

Yes, Vanderpool technology is the same as Virtualization.

First, let's get your folding name and team number, configured right.

Go to your VMPlayer folding info page and click on the Configure link about 2/3rd down the page, on the left side.

When the page with editable fields is showing, change your folding handle and team number, and click on the link to signify that you're done editing. In 12 seconds or so the OLD data will again be displayed.

You don't care. Exit the browser, and click on "VMPlayer" on the top bar of the VMPlayer window. Choose "Troubleshooting, and then "Power off and exit".

When the warning window pops up, just continue with the power off and shut down.

Now start it up again, and your new client.cfg file will be read and your new folding name will be displayed if you go to your VMPlayer folding info page.

Don't just exit the VMPlayer the normal way - that only suspends the player, and new client info is only read when the client starts up. You may set an option in VMWare so it will always power off and shut down when you exit, if you like.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I cannot get Notfred's to accept configuration updates even though I reset Sun VirtualBox after attempting updates via web. I want to change user, team, and workgroup names. I may also disable the USB option to keep from accidentally writing on a thumbdrive. I have tried IE and Firefox browsers. I go to the local address and can see local files fine, but the configuration never updates.
I go to Reconfigure, change my settings, click Reconfigure on the changed page, wait ~15 seconds, and reset VirtualBox. It gives me a warning about losing unsaved data, indicating that it isn't backing anything up. I have reset, powered off, and used the "insert alt ctrl del" command on virtual box, but none have resulted in a configuration update. The remote reset by web feature on the webpage doesn't help either. I am using Sun VirtualBox 3.0.10 and Notfred's July 6, 2009 files.
Here is my client.cfg file from VMIP/c/ect/1/client.cfg in case it will help:

[settings]
username=notfred2630
team=2630
passkey=
asknet=no
bigpackets=big
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080

[core]
checkpoint=15

[clienttype]
type=3

I wanted to run Sun Virtual Box and Nofred's to concentrate on one CPU SMP client at a time and allow for intentional downtime of my PC. (giving it a break when the weather is too hot cools off the room) I also fold on the 4850 GPU. I have a Q9550 with Virtualization enabled and a 500GB Seagate HDD with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
I think Nofred's is rebooting completely when requested because it goes through the initial client choice and driver loading screens. I don't think the VM is recovering a saved state or anything unintended like that.

According to the attached folding log, it seems to be folding fine for Notfred and his team. View attachment FAHlog.txt
My GPU PPD slowed down because of a 511pt p5734 work unit, but it's still getting 25% of the processor.

Please help me get new configuration settings to stick. Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE: Problem solved. See top (above quote) for details. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• PPDa.PNG
    PPDa.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Back