• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vatechguy3

I am looking to build a new i7 system for home use. my goal is to overclock it to around 3.6 to 3.8 for 24/7 use.

here is a list of what parts i'm looking to buy. you'll notice i'm not sure about some components. please let me know your opinion about how to fill in the blanks and why.

Processor
• Intel Core i7 920

Motherboard (need to pick one)
• Asus P6T Deluxe V2
• Asus Rampage II Extreme

Ram (need to pick one)
• CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
• CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Case
• Don’t know – Recommendations?

Power Supply

Graphics (need to pick one)
• SAPPHIRE 100269OCSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - OC edition
• SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Cooling
• TRUE Extreme 120 – What fan arrangement is best?

HDD (getting both)
• Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive – OEM
• Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Misc (need to get all)
• CD Burner
• DVD Burner
• Floppy Drive – I know, old technology
• Media Card Reader
• Keyboard
• Mouse

If you see any parts that i'm missing, plus let me know about those as well.

Thanks for your opinions!
Tony

I am looking to build a new i7 system for home use. my goal is to overclock it to around 3.6 to 3.8 for 24/7 use.

here is a list of what parts i'm looking to buy. you'll notice i'm not sure about some components. please let me know your opinion about how to fill in the blanks and why.

Processor
• Intel Core i7 920

Motherboard (need to pick one)
• Asus P6T Deluxe V2
• Asus Rampage II Extreme
I would go with the P6T, the extras on the Rampage aren't worth the additional costs IMHO.
Ram (need to pick one)
• CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
• CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Neither due to the giant heat spreaders but if it must be between the two just get the 1600. You will never notice the difference other than in benchmarks.
Case
My favorite of the moment is the HAF 932.
Power Supply
Will depend on your GPU choice I would stick with Corsair.
Graphics (need to pick one)
• SAPPHIRE 100269OCSR Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - OC edition
• SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
What res do you play at? For reasonable res's I would go with the 4890 but if its a very high then the X2 would be a better choice.
Cooling
• TRUE Extreme 120 – What fan arrangement is best?
Push/pull for highest performance but for your OC goals a simple push will suffice.
HDD (getting both)
• Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive – OEM
• Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Misc (need to get all)
• CD Burner
• DVD Burner
One will do both, I favor Samsung.
• Floppy Drive – I know, old technology
• Media Card Reader
Again you can kill two birds with one stone here. I don't have any suggestions as I haven't used a floppy in over five years but just take a look at newegg for something with halfway decent reviews.
• Keyboard
• Mouse
Do you want gaming, multimedia, office oriented?
If you see any parts that i'm missing, plus let me know about those as well.

Thanks for your opinions!
Tony

yes, i will be using a 64 bit OS.

what is your issue with the cosair dominator memory?

tony

yes, i will be using a 64 bit OS.

what is your issue with the cosair dominator memory?

tony

The giant heat spreaders have no functional purpose and just cause clearance issues with other components, usually with the HSF. RAM does not create enough heat to need those things. Just a little air flow and regular heat spreaders is plenty. It is just not the dominators, you can include the OCZ Reapors and some models of G.Skill's.

The giant heat spreaders have no functional purpose and just cause clearance issues with other components, usually with the HSF. RAM does not create enough heat to need those things. Just a little air flow and regular heat spreaders is plenty. It is just not the dominators, you can include the OCZ Reapors and some models of G.Skill's.

so what type of 1600 or 1866 RAM would you recommend for a 6GB setup?

thanks
tony

Back