• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting to OC my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jcalvert

I am new to OC'g and not sure where to start from here.

I have:
MB: Asus P5Q Deluxe
Bios: American Mega Trends V:1702
CPU:Intel Q9550 (currently 2.83 MHx, 1333 FSB)
CPU Cooler: Scythe ZIPANG 6 Heat Pipes
RAM: 8GB Mushkin PC2-6400 (currently at 5 5 5 12 )
Video: BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
Case Fans: 3 x 120mm input, 2 x 120mm output
Hard drives: 2 x 120 GB, 2 x 250 GB, 2 x 1000 GB

I have looked at temps and specs with cpuz and HWMonitor:
Cores are between 30 and 40 C
GPU is at 54 C

My first attempt was to simply change FSB from 333 t0 400: failed instantly saying the OC was invalid.
Second attempt was to change FSB from 333 to 360: failed in Vista after 4 minutes with BSD.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Go over to the CPU section and take a look at the stickies for some good reads on OCing. Your current issues could be a couple of things. It could either be you need a touch more Vcore or you memory timings are off. Also that is a ton of ram so you may also need a bit more northbridge voltage as well.

Considering the NB strap (FSB Strap to North Bridge) stayed at 333/800; 5:6 ratio, as it is when set to AUTO for an effective 800 MHz (w/ PC2-6400 installed), and while at the default FSB of 333 MHz. When you upped the FSB to 400 MHz, the resulting DRAM frequency was 960 MHz (this while still on the default 333/800 strap), and all timings on AUTO. Not only was the RAM way out of spec. at that frequency, but the resulting overclock was almost 600 MHz... all voltages and timings at default settings.

Increasing only the FSB to 360 MHz, and while still on the 333/800 strap, the resulting frequency would have only been 864 MHz. With only a 64 MHz overclock of the RAM at that frequency, a successful POST was obviously not an issue, nor was booting into Windows regardless of the BSOD. But because voltages and timings were all left on AUTO, and having not run Memtest to check for errors before attempting to boot into Windows, the resulting BSOD was caused by insufficient voltage(s) (like Vdimm or vNB) and / or incorrectly set RAM timings (like ou_phidelt mentioned).

Back