• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KHA+ or AK31 rev3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeCrappa

which one would work best with the system in my sig. i'm planning on doing a voltage mod. i know the 8KHA+ is more expensive...but is it worth it? what would you suggest? if some of you with these mobos could post your OC's i'd like to know.

Can't really go wrong in my opinion. I had the Shuttle bought and changed my order at the last second for the 8KHA+ and it's been a nice board. High FSB overclocking been easy and has given me no problems since the new BIOS came out fixing the soft reboot issue.

I personally believe (and this is just from what I've seen in benchmarks and such) that the EPoX is a bit more powerful yet the Shuttle looks to be a tad bit more stable. I'd say it's an even trade.

You won't really miss anything by saving on the Shuttle and won't regret spending extra on the EPoX.

i am now leaning towards the shuttle because of the simplicity of the voltage mod (which i already have done on my MSI K7T266 Pro2). i think i'm just going to go with the shuttle. if anyone wants to steer me into another direction please do. i'm still looking for opinions and what not.

The voltmod is simple, as it is with any mobo that uses a HIP6301. The shuttle doesn't have an implemented /5 PCI divider even though the FSB goes to 166. I think I've finally got mine tweaked an stable. I use the 4.36 VIA drivers and 23.11 Detonators for Win2k/XP. I've had my FSB as high as 145 without stability problems, never even tried higher. I do know that my previous maax stable OC on my TBird with my KT7A was 1350 (1 GHz bird) and now on the shuttle it's 1470 with potential for more I think.

SB

those FSB's are kinda low. i've heard about people hitting high FSB's. what kinda FSB's should i expect from my PC2400 @ cas2? right now i'm at 145 fsb.

Right now I'm running 10x150 using Crucial PC2100 at agressive mem settings on the AK31 3.1. That's 1.5GHz, stable as a rock utilizing air-cooling. As I haven't yet done the Vmod I don't know if I could squeeze any more out of her. I beleive those who are acheiving really high fsb's are using like Vapochill's, Koolance etc.
I'm happy with the Shuttle, and will try pushing a bit more when I move it into the new Antec SX1240 case with an H2O set-up :D

if you wanna chose a motherboard you can chose the epox one is a good mobo and stable board you can try it
and good overclock too

i'm using the latest chipset on epox mobo
that have the amd 760 chipset
and it very stable board

new shuttle ak35gtr doesn't need volt mod vcore up to 2.3 comes with ata 133 and has better sound and also raid. will be out soon

I'm using 166 FSB with my GA-7VTXE and it's more than stable but no multiplier :( (GA-7VTXH+ will be good from Gigabyte serries)

But i need something more now so I will get Shuttle AK31 Rev 3.1 (tommorow it's coming :)) which (from what i have read here) is one of the best AMD mobos. (and cheaper $40 than Epox at least for me here in greece)

None of them have a 1/5 that technically works.

The EPoX has a working 1/5 and 1/6 (maybe more?) as far as the PLL and BIOS are concerned, however, the KT266A chipset does not support it, on any board. It's just made in such a way that the PCI buses can tolerate very high bus speeds.

None of the buses remained in spec when going to 166MHz on my 8KHA+...this was evident when 3 of 4 NICs I tried failed at that bus speed. PLL readings will show that a 1/5 is in effect though. It's weird and I don't really understand what they have going on there.

Back