• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have weird temp difference in readings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Donkey545

Registered
Hi, I am curious as to what the temperature difference between the core and the CPU over all reading should be. Currently I am using a stock AMD heatsink and fan on my AMD Phenom Black Edition 9850, running it at stock clock speed with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. I have looked around on Google and such as to the functionality of the stock heatsink, and most people claim it is a pretty good piece of hardware. All this aside, Everest reads my CPU at 47C but my core values are at 60C, which my colleagues lead me to believe is very hot and this is at an idle with low ambient temperature. I would toy with the fan speeds but my mobo has all the settings locked. Could this be a hardware issue, an installation issue, or just bad communication between the temperature reading programs and my motherboard?

Thank You, Donkey545

I swear by CoreTemp on my AMD as well. If Everest is agreeing, then it's probably an accurate core temperature.

Re-seating the heatsink with a fresh application of TIM couldn't hurt. If it helps, it's a small time investment.

I swear by CoreTemp on my AMD as well. If Everest is agreeing, then it's probably an accurate core temperature.

Re-seating the heatsink with a fresh application of TIM couldn't hurt. If it helps, it's a small time investment.

Agree redoing TIM and re-seating Heatsink doesnt take all that long and well worth it ,, Just make sure also that you dont use too much TIM as results will be off otherwise

Thanks for your suggestions. Also I am looking for a better mother board and case, any recommendations for my current components and perhaps another video card in crossfire?

If your going to stay air look at the Antec 900. Very solid air case, not too big. Mobo etc, I dunno.

But sounds like your beginning the OC journey, might look at a bigger case with watercooling potential for next year, you'll be cravin it.

If your going to stay air look at the Antec 900. Very solid air case, not too big. Mobo etc, I dunno.

But sounds like your beginning the OC journey, might look at a bigger case with watercooling potential for next year, you'll be cravin it.

I was actually going to design my own cooling system for one of my classes. Thanks for the recommendation on the case. If I don't end up building a cooling system what liquid system or brand would you suggest

?

Re did the thermal compound

I have redone the thermal compound on the CPU, but I still have weird results. Currently I have 32 degrees on the CPU temp, but 57 degrees on the core. Something leads me to believe that there is bad ventilation on the rear side of the mother board.

Also, How quickly does the thermal compound take to have full heat transfer benefits?

my q6600 oc to 3.6 runs at 70c full load on prime large ftt( i now have it underclocked till i get my tuniq tower) , it idles around 26-27c.

I use AS5 and have my computer running 24/7. I seem to get a definite temp drop after about 2 days of curing and a little more drop up to about 5 days post application and by then seems to have leveled off. All in all I have experienced 2-4 degrees C. temp drop at idle when curing is complete. I also wonder if for some reason the stock heat sink base is not as flat as it could be. Have you checked it with a straight edge? Also, I suggest taking the side panel off your case and directing a box fan at it to see what effect flushing the air out will have on temps. If you get a substantial temp drop with the case open and box fan blowing into it then you know your have poor air circulation when the case is closed.

Back