• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anther 4GB into 3GB (32bit) question but a little different

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goldtna

So I know about the limitations of 32-bit being able to only address 4GB but due to extra things that need addressing, the only available memory to windows is about 3.2 Gigs.

When I put in 2 more gigs of RAM to supplement my existing 2GB, i was expecting about 3.2GB available in windows. Instead, I get 2.8GB. Where did the 400MB go?

BTW, i'm using Windows XP Pro 32-bit

BTW, the mobo is Asus A8N-E and both Software and Hardware 4GB remapping is enabled.

System Specs:

Asus A8N-E
X2 4200+ (socket 939)
4GB PC3200 Ram (2gb OCZ and 2gb Muskin) running with correct timings
3800HD + X1600 XT video cards
2 SATA HDD's
500W PSU

All overclock settings are off.

BIOS, Video Cards, sound cards anything that has ram uses the 32-bit address.

yes this is entirely normal. you just happen to have hardware that requires more memory address space than less exotic hardware configs. to be honest you could do a lot worse so don't sweat it. i once had an SLI rig that could only address 2.25GB out of the 4GB i had. :\

Both of your videocards need to map their RAM into your 4GB address space. That's the place where your 400MB are. You can check it in device manager when you choose View-Ressources by Type

You can check it in device manager when you choose View-Ressources by Type

That's sweet!

Looks like I stand to gain a lot of RAM going to 64bit OS. I got a copy sitting around so maybe I'll try it out.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have it shown up currently as 3.25GB instead of the 4gb I find seriously snappy than when I had 2GB installed ????? I just need XP this week for a project I am doing next week I'm dual botting Win 7' RC1 64bit.

Also make sure you have enabled memory remapping in BIOS, this should give you a little more memory.

Back