• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra Chilltec vs TRUE 120 extreme?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dito

I'm thinking of getting the TRUE 120 Extreme, but saw the Ultra chilltec on Tigerdirect. I was going to use 2 Scythe fan setup with the TRUE. Anyone have a preference? THANKS!

What processor and how much overclocking are you looking at doing?

The Chilltec will do better with low output processors running at slow speeds. Once the wattage gets ramped up, the TRUE will do much better.

I have a q9550 @ 3.4ghz running at around 1.2v. But the problem I have is overheating. Idles at around 34 degrees, same as case temps. But load temps are in the mid 60's with shutdowns. Only shutsdown on over 50% loads. I think I'll go for the the TRUE.

Good choice.

I couldn't agree more. I just put an Ultra 120 non-extreme in my rig last night and the temp drop was astounding. I was however unable to put my 120x38 ultra high speed Panaflo on due to the tall heatsinks on my RAM. I am thinking about setting up the fan in a pull configuration though. Load temps have not gone above 57 yet today on any of the cores.

I couldn't agree more. I just put an Ultra 120 non-extreme in my rig last night and the temp drop was astounding. I was however unable to put my 120x38 ultra high speed Panaflo on due to the tall heatsinks on my RAM. I am thinking about setting up the fan in a pull configuration though. Load temps have not gone above 57 yet today on any of the cores.
You could also use zip ties instead of the horrible fan mounting system and just push the fan a little higher ;)

That allows you to run two fans. Dual 38's push a large amount of air through that heatsink.

You could also use zip ties instead of the horrible fan mounting system and just push the fan a little higher ;)

That allows you to run two fans. Dual 38's push a large amount of air through that heatsink.

I had actually thought about doing that, as the fan does seem a little bit taller than the fins are, but I kinda figured that the 120x25 Xigmatek fan I have on it now was doing just fine. It is the stock one off the HDT-D1264, which is a medium speed fan (by my guess, but my low speed 120x20 Yates run at 1400 RPM) at 1500 RPM pushing around 56 CFM. I will probably try running the larger fan on the back side of the cooler tonight in a pull configuration and post up my results.

Now comes the worst part...waiting for delivery. Can't wait...

The worst part of the whole thing is the anxiety. Nothing like putting off that OC because the cooler you have just isn't up to the task.

I had actually thought about doing that, as the fan does seem a little bit taller than the fins are, but I kinda figured that the 120x25 Xigmatek fan I have on it now was doing just fine. It is the stock one off the HDT-D1264, which is a medium speed fan (by my guess, but my low speed 120x20 Yates run at 1400 RPM) at 1500 RPM pushing around 56 CFM. I will probably try running the larger fan on the back side of the cooler tonight in a pull configuration and post up my results.

The worst part of the whole thing is the anxiety. Nothing like putting off that OC because the cooler you have just isn't up to the task.

I changed my push/pull setup from two TR 2000rpm fans buy replacing the pull with a San Ace 38mm 2600rpm fan (I always wanted to use the San Ace fans in push/pull but not enough room to fit between my intake and the HS) and it was worth about 3° at full load.

TRUESan.jpg

TRUECu.jpg

Looks like the weight is pulling on that fan grill pretty hard :) I've got the non-Cu version, with two Scythe S-Flex F in push/pull. Didn't take the time to compare push, pull, push/pull temps, though. I've been considering turning it 90° so the air goes towards the top fan on my 1200, rather than towards the back of the case.

did you get better cooling pointing it towards the top of the case vs the rear of the case? or just more clearance?

did you get better cooling pointing it towards the top of the case vs the rear of the case? or just more clearance?

On my Fortress the top fan is a filtered intake fan so my HS is getting cool outside air. It is blowing into the case not out.

TopFilter.jpg

Glad to see they finally started shipping units with two sets of the little metal clips in some of the newer products.

Always bothered me that I couldn't have a second set on my Ultra120-a a few years ago without paying like $15 or something.

Ultra Chill TEC's suck basically, I have one I used to use that's sitting on a book case here, my Sunbeam non TEC kicks it's butt.

I haven't even bothered to take my wife's system apart to even install it on her's she doesn't game.

Don't spend the money one one or I'll be forced to say I told ya so :) The True's seem to be the thing, though I've never tried one and the Sunbeam CCF doesn't seem that far off from em.

:beer:

Last edited:
I just got it in the "mail" yesterday. HOLY CRAP this thing is HUGE! I'm actually going to install it tonight. Didn't realize it was THAT big. Not sure if it will even fit in the case. Luckily I also ordered a new larger case that's supposed to arrive Tuesday. Will post results when I install it tonight.

If I were you I'd consider lapping your TRUE. You'll shave off about 4 degrees C if you do. If you check the flatness of the TRUE base you will likely see it is significantly convex.

got it lapped from Crazypc for extra $19. Temps have gone down from ~75C one Core0 (hottest) to 62C. It might have even gone higher than 75, but I stopped Prime95 when it hit 75C. So now I'm at , 62, 58, 55, and 57 instead of mid 70's and high 60's. I'd say a good 10C cooler. I'm running push/pull 120mm Scythe Slipstream fans, 69CFM, but they are too quiet (~25db?) so I just ordered the 110CFM/37db and hopefully get some more cooling with the better airflow.
oc2.jpg

oc3.jpg

oc4.jpg

Yes, my cable management is nonexistant...

On a side note, Hardware Monitor is off by about 10C, is that normal?

deadlysyn, you might find both of those in the screenshot if you look :)

dito: There is another sensor on the CPU in addition to the sensors per core. On my system, it is ~20C lower than the individual core temps. Hardware Monitor is probably showing that sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back