• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Direction of CPU Fan: Aiming in case or out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jcar

Hello.

I have the cooler master Sniper case. It has a 200mm exhaust on top, a 120mm exhaust on the top back, a 120mm intake on the bottom aiming up, and a 200mm intake on the bottom front.

I'm wonder how I should set up the PSU. The psu is mounted at the bottom of the case (not the top), and there are vents at the bottom for PSU air intake (so you can either aim the fan into the case, or out of the case).

So which direction is best?

Would it be best to mount the PSU with the fan facing inside the case (so it can act as another exhaust)? Or would having an exhaust at the bottom and two exhausts at the top mess up airflow?

I would mount the PSU with the fan facing down-- fresh air for the PSU is always good. The efficiency of a power supply slips as it heats up. Also, exhausting at the top will help to keep all the airflow moving in the same direction, reducing dead spots of low airflow.

i had my PSU in my cosmos S facing down and it was always reving up like it wasnt getting enough air in from the bottom of the case, so i put it up right and never had the problem.

Really the best thing to do would be to install it one way, get things all up and running and monitor temps for all the various parts, then install it the other way and monitor temps again.

While a bit time consuming (not that much though) it will give you real data as to which is better.

Back