• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K-Hyper X 4GB DDR2 At 2.1v Fine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

My new 4GB kit arrived today a day early installed it and BIOS reset memory configuration to PC6400 I've upped the memory to 2.1v voltage on the memory it's self says 2.3v which goes into the red on my board.

Is 2.1v fine for this memory so far so good no BSOD as I am currently using Win XP 32bit SP3 got a big project this week to convert cassettes to MP3 and dont know if Nero 7 & Audacity work in Windows 7 64bit RC1.

Yes, less voltage could be used then what states in secs, but to be sure it is stable run memtest86+

Did you set timings manually in bios? They should be 5-5-5-15 I'm guessing?

I left them on auto currently CPU-Z shows the following (see pic) but I am going to run memtest now for 2hrs burn in and I'll set them to manual too it should be set to 5-5-5-15.

I dun see any pic :confused:

Sorry forgot to add it I am having issues on what I set in the BIOS heres a screen shot and where CPU-Z uses to show settings on my OCZ for 533mhz timings. It does not show them for the H-X memory just 400mhz so since it's supposed to run at 5-5-5-15 I took off the labels from CPU-Z like CAS# latency etc

What do I set bank cycle time to and command rate to?

I have not changed it yet via manual it still set to auto I tried running memtest and 5 secs into the test it reboot the PC yet I've had no issues in XP yet.

Last edited:
It is usually 5-5-5-15-20 2T. So, bank cycle =20 and command rate 2T. What is the exact name of that memory (starts with 'KHX')? And you will need enough voltage to have that run stable @ 1066MHz (testing is the only way here or just to leave it at manufacturers specs if you are not into it).

right will set it to that and I will look at the chips for the exact name of the memory the volts on the memory themselves say 2.3v I assume thats the max it can go to yet where I bought it from people have set it to 2.2v.

Just as i turned it to 2.2 it went red and I thought that means danger to set it that high I'll set them to that and 2.2v and run memtest again.

I set the above in that pic to 5-5-5-15 20 and T2 and upped the volts to 2.2v I ran memtest 86x 3.5 off my CD-ROM and again just reboots the PC 5 secs into it.

I managed to capture what it was reporting my memory and it said 5-5-8-31 :confused: thats where I'm confused in the BIOS. I can't upload a full pic as it's too big in file size but I thought the pic I took it what you change anyway.

What your bios reports as red is absolutely not dangerous for this ram. The BIOS will show red for certain voltages because it things they are high compared to the standard ram voltage, which is usually around 1.9v.

This ram is supposed to run at 2.2v so there is no problem in doing that. In fact, I think Kingston have a warranty system which will replace your ram regardless of what voltage you've run through it. I've got the same sticks in 2gb form and have them at 1140MHz with 2.16v set in the BIOS.

It's also worth checking if your motherboard generally over or undervolts to the memory. That will help you know where you really are... or use a multimeter.

The bottom line is don't worry!

5-5-5-15-20 is way too low. Start with 5-5-5-18-50 and leave the command rate to auto. See if that allows you to get into the system. Then you can work down. Can you set the Performance level manually on your motherboard? If so, set it to 10 and then try to work down. I'm currently at PL 8 so that should give you something to aim for. Good luck.

Hmm... not sure why it says 5-5-8-31. What does CPU-Z shows for timings?
About instability, try changing voltage between 2.1 and 2.3, maybe that'll help. Also, was it stable when you left timings on "Auto" in bios?

Hmm... not sure why it says 5-5-8-31. What does CPU-Z shows for timings?
About instability, try changing voltage between 2.1 and 2.3, maybe that'll help. Also, was it stable when you left timings on "Auto" in bios?

Yep stable with auto in the BIOS at 2.1v I'll leave it at that I am sure there isn't a performance loose with it's current settings which are 5-7-7-24. I'll try again with 2.3v see if Memtest will work if not then leave it at auto.

I'm leaving it at auto memtest fails even with that but I have no issues within XP what so ever could probably set it to 5-5-5-15 at 2.2v and it probably would run fine.

Since it's new and the system is running fine I'll leave it thanks for your help.

np. Well, you are not the first one nor you'll be the last one who cannot make HyperX memory work as Kingston say it should. Not that good RAM. But with some more tweaking who knows... maybe 5-6-6 or something.

np. Well, you are not the first one nor you'll be the last one who cannot make HyperX memory work as Kingston say it should. Not that good RAM. But with some more tweaking who knows... maybe 5-6-6 or something.

Something tells me I should have actually gone for that OCZ 4GB Gold DDR2 Kit instead lol I'm happy with this thou.

Right no matter what I have my memory set at wether it's auto or manual timings Memtest 3.5 still reboots I am wondering can I just set my memory to 5-5-5-15 and carry on using windows and if I basically experience BSOD I'll go back to auto since memtest will not work.

It will not damage the memory will it also currently the memory is at 2.1v I am going to up it to 2.2v even thou my old OCZ 2GB kit ran at 5-5-5-15 at 2.1v this is obviosuly because it's 2GB per chip.

Before I got rid of it my OCZ I was getting BSOD's maybe because of the timings :confused: yet memtest would pass 100% for 4hrs burn in.

I have been trying to figure out why memtest will not run at all no matter what I do for my timings wether it be auto or manual I am currently testing 5-5-5-15 2T and 20 as suggested above on 2.1v and so far windows has not crashed within the 4hrs my system has been turned on.

I did find that having USB Legacy enabled can cause the reboot I have disabled that and it still refuses to work if there any other program I can test for stability. I am going to test each stick sperately at 5-5-5-15 2.1v in case I have been sent a bad module just be sure.

Back