• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer without a case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freak11

HI guys,
if i used a motherboard without a computer case then how will this affect my temperatures??

I am thinking about saving money and just putting a few 120mm fans on the motherboard and my triple sli configuration.

any thoughts???

it will do just fine. Most ppl opet their cases if their airflow is too low...

Your temps should drop a little. If the airflow in your case is good you might not see much of a difference.

I like to put my mobo up on something to ensure some airflow to the backside of the board, and make sure you've got a fan blowing across the northbridge and mosfet area.

If you have no case whatsoever you might want to get some sort of airflow going across the system. If you have no fans around than your temps might not improve at all. The point behind giving more airflow by taking off the side panel of the case is because there are already fans moving the hot air away from the motherboard. Not saying you need some massive fan blowing against your system when its not in a case but just something to move air across it might be a good idea.

If you have no case whatsoever you might want to get some sort of airflow going across the system. If you have no fans around than your temps might not improve at all. The point behind giving more airflow by taking off the side panel of the case is because there are already fans moving the hot air away from the motherboard. Not saying you need some massive fan blowing against your system when its not in a case but just something to move air across it might be a good idea.

do i have to position the air fans in such a direction so that cold air moves towards the components or shall i put them upside down so that hot air is sucked out and blown away from the parts??

It would be better if you set them up to blow air at the system.

much better esspecially parts with passive cooling like RAM, chipset... but I dun think you will have to worry that much. It will work fine even without any additional fans then those on the CPU, VGA and PSU. That said, each new fan is a plus.

put it on an antistat bag on your desk/table (you could use standoffs to lift it up a touch) and stick 2 fans any size either at the side or in front just down one edge that will cool any heatsinks that you have on your mobo and the mobo itself then you would have a nice little setup :) ......... ive seen people who have set this up on wood and worked really well :)

Never put a Mobo on an anti static bag. A metal silver looking bag is conductive on the outside and it can short out components when power is applied. There is a reason the outside of the bag is conductive, to pull static to the grounding point, and not built up in one place. OMG... A pink looking bag is fine.

The Mobo box is perfect and raised up a few inches, just use it.

I use a tech station with no case fans on it. I still have a fan blowing air over my ram and one blowing on my NB air cooled. And one blowing on my hard drive. So yes, you still need a bit of fannage but not a lot. At least in a non case setup, your GPU isn't adding heat to the case. I have still seen non case users put a fan over the back/top of a GPU to help.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=604016
I added a Antec spot cool for my NB, just layed it next to the fins, not in the pic.
Non-case is easier to play with, but you still need fans.

Aye, yes it does, pretty good option. Agreed. The 250 is probably enuff for for the ram and other odd warm parts. Glad ya brought that up.

Mebbe a spot cooler for the NB to force air through the HS fans, otherwise it's a nekkid cool looking air case.

Back