• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing W 7 RC on separate HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crunchie

Trying to install W7 on a separate HD and am having problems.
I have t 2 HD's in RAID0 and 1 as storage. The storage HD is partitioned and I am trying to install on the 2nd partition from boot.
It goes through the process of asking which drive to install to and I select the 'E' (being the 2nd partition :)) and it carries on. Problem is, it stops at the time one would install the RAID drivers saying there are no HD's visible and asks for drivers.
If I disable RAID in the bios and do the set up again, will I be able to re-enable it again, given that the W 7 install is successful, or will disabling RAID mash my 'C' drive install?

If you have two drives in raid a the C: drive, then turning off raid will bork your c drive.
It's kinda like having all the zeros on one hdd and all the ones on the other, and if one drive fails, then half of your data will be lost. It's not really the 1s on one hdd and the 0s on the other, but that is the easiest way to explain raid.
In short, turning of raid will cause your c: to not function and you will need to reformat the array.

There is an ISO called something like "Vista recovery cd" available for download that is supposed to fix boot problems in win7...........dunno if your situation is applicable though and you will need an ISO burning program like ISOBurn or other free ISO burning utility, and you will need some kind of Torrent setup..MS recomends Utorrent.
For now, I myself am doing it the hard way...I turn off the computer, unplug the P.S. and physicaly change the hdd cable and unplug the power from the XP hdd, and plug in the win7 hdd.
That way my XP setup stays virginal, and untouched.

Last edited:
Yeah, you may want to try unplugging your two raid 0 drives and then installing Windows 7 on the storage drive. DON'T turn off RAID in the BIOS if you have a RAID array. As stated above, you will lose everything the moment it tries to boot off of your array. I found out the hard way.

Glad I asked the question :). Does the same thing apply when you flash the bios?
Thanks guys.

Well, if you flash the BIOS, I'm pretty sure it will automatically load the default BIOS settings for you so you better get in there and set your sata mode to RAID before it gets to the point of booting.

Still, it can't hurt to just unplug the array before flashing, just to be safe (like paranoid safe :p)

Before I decided to do the array, every time I flashed the bios, the settings were reverted to the defaults. ie: I had to enable RAID manually.

Back