• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 win7 - missing unitinfo.txt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

fahSMP is running on my new i7 win7/64 but it fails to update unitinfo.txt in the folder I installed, why? Does it put that file somewhere else, or don't I have the right permission to access it?

Last edited:
Did you install the files to the Program Files folder? Both Vista and 7 don't seem to play nicely with clients installed to those folders. I used C:\Folding with sub folders for SMP and GPU2. Any details you can give us about your client install will help us get you on the right track.

Did you install the files to the Program Files folder? Both Vista and 7 don't seem to play nicely with clients installed to those folders. I used C:\Folding with sub folders for SMP and GPU2. Any details you can give us about your client install will help us get you on the right track.

Yep, thats it, put them in the Program Files. I'll change it when the current WU is done. Thx.

Glad I could help out. It took some of us quite some time to figure that one out. We originally noticed it in Vista, and I have noticed, if something is one way in Vista, chances are they did pretty much the same in 7. So far on my quad rig, running Win7 x64, I have a 2653 right now, bringing in somewhere around 2350 PPD, and a 5772 on the GPU2 running a little over 5k PPD. So far, I am fairly happy with the performance.

Thanks for ruining it for me guys. I always thought it was the Hawaiian Tropic bikini bus team.

But on the more serious side, 7 is built on the same kernel as Vista. MS has made some big improvements in 7. Although, I haven't really had a lot of time to play with some of the new features. For one thing, the lowering of system requirements was a must. Vista was very highly complained about, mostly by people that had never even touched a Vista rig, and people that wanted to try to benchmark it against XP on hardware that didn't meet the requirements by a longshot. They may as well have tried comparing comparing it to 98 on a P2. Of course if you put an OS on a system that doesn't meet the requirements it is not going to perform. As a matter of fact, Vista performs much better with my quad core than XP did. Of course YMMV, and I am just expressing my own findings and opinions here.:beer:

Back