• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DHCP not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

So, I'm living over in Korea currently, and I just bought a D-link DIR-300 wireless router. They don't sell that model in the states, but they have a similar model there. Anyways, I've been having connection problems and I think I found what the problem is. My DHCP router is enabled, but my DHCP client list is empty. My computer and internal IP address should show in the list, but there is nothing. What's going on and how can I fix this? Anyone encounter this problem before?

It's natural for it to be empty unless you've already successfully connected. It could also be empty if you successfully connect, but fail to provide proper WEP (or wpa, whatever) - this would show in windows as "limited or no connectivity", and it would show on your router by having no clients listed in the DHCP list.

You could try assigning a static IP on your machine - if your gateway IP is 192.168.0.1, use 192.168.0.2 for your machine, and a mask of 255.255.255.0. If that works without a problem then you have a DHCP issue of some kind with the router. If setting a static doesn't work, then theres something else getting in the way before DHCP ever has a chance to operate normally.

Most basically, your machine needs to be set to DHCP under lan settings... But I'm assuming you've already covered that.

Well, here's something strange.

I changed the DHCP range on my router fro 2~199 to 2~99. My computer had been using the address xxx.xxx.0.100 so I assumed that it would be assigned something else, as 100 is not in the 2~99 range.

Well, rather than getting assigned a different address, it maintained the 100 address and just dropped the internet connection. My understanding of DHCP servers is that this shouldn't happen. My network connection is set to receive an address automatically, it is NOT set for static.

What does this mean?

Also, every once in a while, my PC does show up in the DHCP client list but it's hit and miss. Most of the time no clients are listed. I'm confused... It's not a major problem because my router can still ping my computer and I still have a connection. When I tried setting my computer to static with the address xxx.xxx.0.100 I started having major connection issues even though that was the address it was automatically obtaining.

Confused and frustrated...

Just cause you tell the router to assign addresses in another IP area via DHCP, doesn't mean the client tries to get a new address.
DHCP is a pull-medium so to speak: IPs change only if the client does a new DHCP request

Ya, after making that change you would need to issue an ipconfig /renew on the client in order to request a new IP. Or just reboot.

Hi,

Personally I feel that Vista ain’t as user friendly as I expected it to be or as they claimed it to be. It’s hard to find what you need when you need it.

Hit my first bug when I got back. My Intel pro 2200 BG wireless connection was not getting DHCP lease from my IPCOP server. The weird thing was that my LAN card was fine and my wireless connection worked fine if I used a static IP.

Spent a whole night trying to feagure out the problem.Good news is I manged to fix it with some help from MS knowledgebase and a few registry tweaks. It seems to be a problem with the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets. In XP it’s off and in Vista it’s on. Non Microsoft DHCP servers don’t like this.

thanks!

Back