• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xfx 4850 should I apply AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sonex

Hey, I got this card recently and its doing fine. The thing is, I have this tube of Arctic Silver 5 lying around and I tend to apply that stuff to everything I own :clap: ..

should I bother removing the cooler on the XFX card and applying AS5 ?? I think my current idle temp is 37 degrees, not sure what it is under load... mind you it is winter at the moment so its freezing in the room :-/

ok cool, one more thing, does it void warranty if i remove the cooler...

also , i never had a card with this type of cooler (the big ones that blow air out of the case).... are they difficult to assemble?

don't do it of course if you want to keep your warranty.

37°C idle seems really good for a 4850. check what it does under load.

Anything under 90°C (to be on the really, really safe side) is totally okay.

The reference boards were idling at 60-70°C and reaching over 100°C usually.

While ATI says that's still within specification, try not to go over 100°C as they can become unstable there in certain situations.

cool cool... Im just reading on random sites, some stating that xfx covers you even if you remove the cooler , and then some sites say they dont....jeez...

I think it would be nice to apply as5 to this board as in the past i noticed up to 10 degrees instant drop in temps from AS5... hmmmmmmm

I just read through the warranty information for xfx (for germany, they seem to have different versions for different countrys) for Radeon HD products.

It is not specified that you can't change the thermal paste/remove the heatsink, it isn't specified that you can either, though.

However it is mentioned that xfx will judge the card and may refuse a warranty service.

I suggest you first read through their warranty info for your region and contact them if it's unclear to you.

The thing is: Just changing the Thermal compund will yield you a bit bitter temperatures, however not enough to justify a voided warranty.

Especially as your temperatures seem really good already.

If you void your warranty, do it by using aftermarket cooling.

If you don't void your warranty by just changing the TC, well.. I haven't said anything ^^

damn lol i just had the screwdriver in my hand,,, hmmm ill send them an email...

AS5, that's for computer parts!? Ive been putting that on my food for ages! I feel cold, very cold.

i know for a fact that changing the tim does not void warranty iv rma'd cards even after putting water blocks on them and they didnt have a problem with it

ok just another quick question. I am currently running a x2 4800+ am2 cpu ocd only to 3ghz. How much of a bottleneck am I seeing???

I also have a am2+ mobo, do you recommend i upgrade to some other cpu and if yes which one (tight budget).

Thanks

ok just another quick question. I am currently running a x2 4800+ am2 cpu ocd only to 3ghz. How much of a bottleneck am I seeing???

I also have a am2+ mobo, do you recommend i upgrade to some other cpu and if yes which one (tight budget).

Thanks

imo i would forget about upgrading your cpu and save up for a decent intel build if you dont want to spend to much cash a p5q series board and a e8400 would be a very nice setup without hurting your wallet to much you would be looking at a 4.3-4.5ghz oc on that cpu

imo i would forget about upgrading your cpu and save up for a decent intel build if you dont want to spend to much cash a p5q series board and a e8400 would be a very nice setup without hurting your wallet to much you would be looking at a 4.3-4.5ghz oc on that cpu

Only issue with this is that LGA775 is at the end of its life (as someone mentioned to me recently). Well, not so much end, but there's going to be limited options. Mind you, not that everyone needs the latest and greatest stuff, and a high-end Dualie OC'd will most likely last a long time..

My suggestion, for gaming, grab a AM3 X2 550 BE, good dualie, will work on a am2+ board (after a bios update perhaps), and OC's fairly well. Not as strong as the e8400, but allows you to plug it into a AM3 board in the future if thats the way you wish to stay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an AMD fanboy :p, I'm well aware intel generally gives better performance.. You just sometimes have to pay more for it (more specifically i7 here) just saying for right now, for a one-component upgrade, grab the X2 550 BE and OC it. *shrugs*

The reference boards were idling at 60-70°C and reaching over 100°C usually
For reals? My non-reference (albeit with ceramique) is idling right now at 43C with the fan on auto and I consider that heatsink to be very crappy. With the reference HD 4770 heatsink on there it idles at even less.

i know for a fact that changing the tim does not void warranty iv rma'd cards even after putting water blocks on them and they didnt have a problem with it

Well you probably didn't tell them you did that.

Thanks

I have a 2.8Ghz Celeron and Farcry2 is still graphics card limited for me with my HD 4850.

Only issue with this is that LGA775 is at the end of its life (as someone mentioned to me recently). Well, not so much end, but there's going to be limited options. Mind you, not that everyone needs the latest and greatest stuff, and a high-end Dualie OC'd will most likely last a long time..

My suggestion, for gaming, grab a AM3 X2 550 BE, good dualie, will work on a am2+ board (after a bios update perhaps), and OC's fairly well. Not as strong as the e8400, but allows you to plug it into a AM3 board in the future if thats the way you wish to stay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an AMD fanboy :p, I'm well aware intel generally gives better performance.. You just sometimes have to pay more for it (more specifically i7 here) just saying for right now, for a one-component upgrade, grab the X2 550 BE and OC it. *shrugs*

I would get a 12MB L2 cache Intel quad core. It is a lot of CPU and more than anyone needs for gaming unless you have quad sli GTX 285's.

Last edited:
Back