• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

King of air cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ezcharlie

where's the sticky for the kings or air cooling.
i'm referring to cpu coolers by the way.
thanks.
TRUE? MEGAHALEMS? HAMMER? V10?

definitely the frosty tech site isn't updated.
how can the ultra 120 be there and the not the extreme w/ 2 more heatpipes.
unless of course they never actually reviewed it :)

Not sure how accurate that list is. The TRUE is not even in the Top 10? Have I been out of things for that long?

Frosty is always mentioned on these forums but their lists and test results are suspect to say the least. They always differ drastically from every other respected review site.

Anyway I think this entire topic is debatable and will also vary by your specific needs. Some will say the TRU but that usually involves some lapping or tricks to get that ideal performance. Some will like the best-bang-for-the-buck which most consider the Xigmateks. I personally wanted the best quiet performer and opted for Noctua. My other top choice was the Thermalright HR-01 Plus. Actually that heatsink outperforms the Noctua by a few degrees but it doesn't come with a nice fan like the Noctua and I am skeptical of Thermalright's quality control. (some people get perfect heatsinks from TR, some have to lap, etc) Anyway, point is, I think the topic is largely subjective. There are a whole slew of heatsinks that fit into the "very good" category and from there you have to choose based on your needs. :)

TRUE? MEGAHALEMS? HAMMER? V10?
From our tests TRUE Copper lapped and modded with high-RPM fan.
i7 920 3903mhz - 1.368V Vcore load/4095mhz - 1.504V Vcore load
20°C room ambient, open stand
Loaded with LinX 0.5.7
OS - Windows XP SP3

attachment.php

One issue in comparing reviews is that the TRUE benefits more than most from high static pressure fans and push/pull fan setups and lapping. To say that a review has employed better test bed methodology because they used the same fan on all the coolers may not be fair. The problem is that no single review seems to take all the variables into account.

One issue in comparing reviews is that the TRUE benefits more than most from high static pressure fans and push/pull fan setups and lapping. To say that a review has employed better test bed methodology because they used the same fan on all the coolers may not be fair. The problem is that no single review seems to take all the variables into account.

That is definitely true, but i think one of the easiest way in general to test different products is to keep other variables the same. But you are correct, that still isn't 100%.

Note also from Buribista's graphs that the TRUEs begin to pull ahead of the Megahalems when CPU speeds and voltages are jacked up to the extreme end. Many reviews show that the TRUE really begins to shine at the extreme margins of overclocking.

[...] TRUEs begin to pull ahead of the Megahalems when CPU speeds and voltages are jacked up to the extreme end.
Yes, agree.
TRUE never stops to amaze me. Lapped and modded and even after those years is still the best heatsink for extreme OC-ing on air.
Kudos to TR for this beast.

From my research TRUE, Scythe Mugen2, IFX are some of the very top dogs.
I went with the Mugen2 because the value it offers and performance is outstanding.

From my research TRUE, Scythe Mugen2, IFX are some of the very top dogs.
I went with the Mugen2 because the value it offers and performance is outstanding.

Looks like the Mugen2 is only for Intel.

Looking at those charts, one thing struck me, being the cheap bastidge that I am, is that the Xig 1283 comes close to the cooling ability of the high-end coolers for a lot less money. Of course, I don't push the extreme end of OC'ing either...at least, so far :)

Looking at those charts, one thing struck me, being the cheap bastidge that I am, is that the Xig 1283 comes close to the cooling ability of the high-end coolers for a lot less money. Of course, I don't push the extreme end of OC'ing either...at least, so far :)

yeah, that is definitely something to consider. You loose a few degrees of performance, but you save a $20-$30 :thup:

Back