• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD and the Asus Marvell SAS Ports...weird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

This thead is a little about SSD's and a little about the Asus P6T6 revolution, so either forum would do but it is basically a question about storage so here goes.

If anybody owns this board or another with the Marvell SAS ports perhaps they can verify this. I have asked this on the OCZ forum but wanted see what you guys back home here had to say.

My original intentions were to put the 128 Gskill Falcon (being replaced by the OCZ Vertex) on one of the two SAS ports and run a storage array off of the Intel ICH10R ports. I get mixed results though upon initial testing.
Hooked up to the Intel ICH10R I get this result:

Untitled2.png

And when I put the SSD on the Marvel SAS I get this result:

Untitled.png

I wonder why the read is lower on the SAS port...but that is really all that is, the writes are better (except for the 4k random reads).This pattern is linear with most benchmarks. WIth HD Tach I get 209 avg read and 189 burst with Intel but 169 avg read and 159 burst with Marvell SAS. I also get a longer install time for Vista/Win7 when hooked up to the SAS and some little pausing of the progress bar when loading the OS...just little quirks which may be attributed to the controller/driver loads.
Is the Marvell SAS limited in speed? Thre are two ports, probably geared for RAID with SAS drives. I hate to put the SSD and a 4 drive raid array on the same Intel controller for fear it would bottle neck performance somehow.

A)What do you guys think of the performance differences
B)Should I put my 2 DVD drives on the SAS and move everything else to the Intel ICH10? :confused:

Back