• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I done a bad thing! :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

crap im in laptop land LOL

I was just going to reply to a thread elsewhere when I caught the sleep button on the keyboard and off to sleep the pc went, now its screwed and wont start up:eek::confused:

got this horrable feeling I may have toasted my Q66
it flaked out mid boot just before and now no beeps, full disco on the board(Praise Alan!) and green on the card (Thank Jebus!) but all the same no bios reset makes any difference and no DVI signal to any monitor and all the bluetooth stuffs off line.

things arnt lookin V good :(

suppose i`ll pull all the ram and drives, already removed all the USB

no leaks and it all runs cold but it wont start:cry:

its cold `n lonely without all the noise and screens... grim.

So you accidently hit the "sleep" key on your keyboard and now your computer won't work?
Do you get anything on the monitor screen after a hard boot?
Can you get into your bios?
What mb, cpu, ram, os, etc. are we dealing with?

Last edited:
List your specs, including the PSU and how long you've used all that hardware.

I like your bulgarian sig.

Try pulling the battery out and leaving it out for at least several minutes. Then put Humpty Dumty back together and try booting it again.

Try pulling the battery out and leaving it out for at least several minutes. Then put Humpty Dumty back together and try booting it again.

x2 try this as well turn the pc off unplug it then flip the switch on the psu
then hit the front power button that should drain all the power then try to boot it

Gigabyte EP45 Extreme
Corsair 1000Watt PSU
Corsair PC6400 XMS2 2x2Gig 800MHz
GTX280 (watercooled)
GT8400 (secondry)
Q66 G0 (watercooled)
WD300 Raptor (Boot)
4x slave drives (WD Barracudas, Segates, Samsung)
3x Monitors (2x GTX280, 1x GS8400)
3x External Rads, 1x D5Vario, (External 700Watt PSU)
1x CDRW/DVDR

note. EP45 board has three resets and dual Bios.
none of them worked and no beeps or post/bios screen.
keyboards not recieving on start, no output signal on all 3 monitors.
was clocked to 3.600 stable with all energy saving features on, Bus was @ 400Mhz (50% overclock)
Ram was at 2.2v 1:1ratio 800MHz 4-4-4-12

Broke the machine down completely and im in the process of rebuild, decided it was a good time to check everything over and move things about and mod bits to improve cooling loop.

will have it together some point today and then leak test for a while before powering the machine and seeing if its any different.

from the boards `disco lights` seems everythings present but its indicating CPU voltage as high I think (not sure if its normal)

also try and grab another machine to try the ram in and borrow its CPU if no joy today.

note. have to remove the board cooling in full to get the battery out, hence the three resets (that normally work if things clock bad)

it just powers up and everythings green light, drives keep re-firing, no screen & no post.
it had a mysterious reset half way threw booting the time before it totally failed, and when I got in bios it said there was a problem with the overclock.

Im aware of all the bios tricks right up to hot swapping and couldnt spot anything in the build when I took it apart :shrug:

pulled the CPU and water block mountings didnt see anything.

I feel its either BIOS/Mboard, CPU or RAM
most likely CPU because theres no beeps or video output.

(have been thrashing the CPU in three different builds for about a year 24/7)

Did you have activity on your hdd led?
No beeps? Not a good sign. Guess the only way to test the defective cpu is do some swapping.

yes the Activity LED was lit and I could hear the drives reseting every few seconds.

nearly ready to fire it up again anyhow but if its the same story. i`ll note all the board lights and error codes and look them up.

think ive run the chip into silicon heaven #Laughs#

will see soon enough if poking it about a lot has made things any better.
its clean, tidy and broke #Chuckles#

I was getting a glitch in fallout when it was really under load... all things point to toast symptom wise (not be the first chip thats toasted on me)

If it is toast then assuming everything else isnt toast i`ll go for a Q9550 (and abuse it most likely) :D

guess trying to bench it at 3825GHz didnt do it much good... im a fool (enjoy clocking stuff more than using it I think)

no entertainment without it though. Music, Films, Games & net gone. As well ive got a computer to fix.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that its your motherboard that has gone. I've seen the switch on but no bios screen or beeps a few times and it always was the motherboard.

just tried it and same story.

no HDD activity light though (I got that wrong previous)
board says FF and theres a full set of lights up along side the ram slots (think it means CPU voltage high, but not sure until this manual downloads)

FF means boot attempt
and the other light are phaze led indicating full cpu load?
theres a green go light on the GTX280 aswell
no post beep no video output.

grim if its the board not had it two minutes and done zero bad things at it.

well the board thinks its fine but the CPU load isnt normal, should only be in the geen at post last I looked.

Last edited:
Update. Well its a no go on getting another Q66 to try.
So I suppose i`ll drain the loop and stick the old soddin board in then see if its the CPU or board... balls!

If its the board I should be good for a replacement because I`ve done nothing bad at it, but if its the CPU then erm I need a new CPU #laughs#

best not be that board...

My wish list :D

OCZ Flex EX 4GB
Lian-Li PC-A7010B Super Full Tower Case
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 LGA775 'Yorkfield' 2.83GHz 12MB-cache
(should be able to get two machines and an upgrade give or take a cheap processor with these parts)

Last edited:
just a shot in the dark but try re-setting bios?, my asus mobo does that to me all the time when its in hibernation / sleep, 1st time i thought i toasted somethign as well, so i posted here and jumpin the BIOS was suggested.... did it and it works every time now!, so give it a shot?

was considering that but theres a bios reset switch on the back of the board and a power and reset switch on the board but theres also a jumper... if I unplug enough stuff I should be able to find it.

its quite specific about unpluging the mains before doing it as well (its a dual bios)
be nice if its that simple :)

dont suppose a faulty raptor as boot could cause it? (its the last thing I put in there)

Last edited:
nope that did bog all :(
somethings proper really type broken not the oooh i`ll sort that variety, bugger!

same board post disco as before.

rubbish :shrug:

not sure about swapping the board out just now, my tweakers morals too low...
oh and it`ll take freakin ages to do. Balls!

really impractical sometimes having a laptop as a second machine.
water coolings impractical too when I do it #Laughs#

Laughs! got to plumb up the north bridge on the old board because some Dinbat! chopped the heat sink up and stuck it on a card :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Intel Celeron E1400 <--- theres a lazy cheap option to test the board :D
just wait a couple of days and I get to build a spare machine anyway :)
£30.41 for a CPU top stuff!

CPU`s on its way.
its a top price for a board tester and to get a spare machine out of its cool.
If it fires up with that in it i`ll buy a Q9550 and thrash it obviously :D

guess I could de-construct my 750 external drive while im machineless, I hate usb drives slows everything up and its always plugged in because theres so much stuff on it... I see a plan.

Last edited:
Pg. 36 in the manual it shows the cmos_clr jumper.
On my dfi set up, the "ff" on the led is good to go. Haven't noticed on my Gigabyte, it's not in use atm.
Have you pulled your mb, ram, vcard, out of the case and tried to boot into the bios, without all the other components hooked up? If not, I would.
You sure it's not your monitor?

that would be what happened to my friend.. he thought his wife's pc toasted.. we worked on it for 4 or 5 hours, got nowhere.. Made a mad dash to frys, put a dent in a credit account, ran home, assembled the new components, in the new case, hooked everything up, same white screen on the monitor..
we had an 'No, it couldn't be that" moment, and tested her pc on a spare monitor.... booted like a champ..

So we went back to frys and returned the monitor for warranty coverage.. came home with a loaner.

Nevermind on the "monitor". I just re-read and you used 3 monitors.
Just curious, did you happen to check the voltage rails with a dmm?

Back