• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for some reviews on "green" drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoobydoo

Seems all the major companies have come out with a "green" drive now and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some reviews comparing them?

I am doing an upgrade soon and want to use the least power hungry drives in my storage server:)

yes, i have 2 WD green drives and they work great for storage and backup

i would like to find some reviews that compare power consumption, heat, noise, etc. of the various manufacturers "green" drives

I've been looking at a new 1TB WD drive to replace my old 160gb and 320GB (and remove old PATA card as well) and while WG black is much faster overall, Green is better if it'd be mostly used as storage or in where file transfer speed is not real important. HTPC is probably good with green drives.

WD green drive is supposed to be able to do 7200 while under high demand but some reviews seems to suggest 5400 is the norm most of the time.

Go with green drive if you don't need smoking fast speed, it has lower power usage and generally quieter.

Hmm, maybe I am not being clear enough

I am just looking for reviews comparing the low power "green" drives from the various manufacturers to each other

I have two WD green drives(1tb and 750gb)and I am very happy with them so far, but I am in the market for more low power drives so I was curious as to which low power drive was actually the lowest power.

All kinda moot now because I just bought two 1tb Samsung Ecogreen drives from Newegg earlier for $150 shipped. I would have gone with more WD drives, but that would have been $30 more:(

Nice $75 per Samsung 1TB. I remember paying $80 for 80MB (yes MB not GB) hard drive 15 years ago.

I couldn't find any reviews on this one and Newegg has only 1 simple and not overly useful review. As I'm getting one, if Samsung proves to be good I may get 2 of this instead of 1 WD drive for a little more, make it a RAID 0 to get extra speed, and not worry about running out of space for another year.

Hmm, maybe I am not being clear enough

I am just looking for reviews comparing the low power "green" drives from the various manufacturers to each other

I have two WD green drives(1tb and 750gb)and I am very happy with them so far, but I am in the market for more low power drives so I was curious as to which low power drive was actually the lowest power.

All kinda moot now because I just bought two 1tb Samsung Ecogreen drives from Newegg earlier for $150 shipped. I would have gone with more WD drives, but that would have been $30 more:(

WOW:eek:

Someone actually cares about low power hardware!:p

WOW:eek:

Someone actually cares about low power hardware!:p

My sarcasm detector isn't working at the moment so I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic. :D

It's not just low power, they are also quieter because they typically idle at 5400 rpm. In one guide I was reading, it mentioned the 1.5TB WD green drive was sipping only 2.8 watts in idle mode.

My sarcasm detector isn't working at the moment so I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic. :D

It's not just low power, they are also quieter because they typically idle at 5400 rpm. In one guide I was reading, it mentioned the 1.5TB WD green drive was sipping only 2.8 watts in idle mode.

Probably a bit of both:p

It just makes me giggle a bit when I think of OCing and power saving:beer:

Use one of the WDC green 640GB WS6400AACS drive bought last year in eSata external enclosure as backup, great drive, it works fine and with much less heat, oh yeah, fully silent operation too. :)

i gave up overclocking a while ago:( the new dual/quad core cpu's have way more power than i need so i have gone the other direction and tried to build computers that use as little power as possible

i have had the samsungs for a week now and they are wonderful drives. for $75 each they were a good deal as well. will be picking up two more when i get some funds

hopefully someone will do a full comparison review soon

i gave up overclocking a while ago:( the new dual/quad core cpu's have way more power than i need so i have gone the other direction and tried to build computers that use as little power as possible

i have had the samsungs for a week now and they are wonderful drives. for $75 each they were a good deal as well. will be picking up two more when i get some funds

hopefully someone will do a full comparison review soon

I hear you there.

Doing the same thing myself. I do have my overclocking/benching rigs for when I have the time. Mostly though, its all about saving energy (hibernation mode LCD over CRT :( etc)

Back