• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade for old rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gretnine

Hello there,

I currently have a E6600 @ 2,4ghz, an EVGA i680 SLI mobo and 2 gb of ram (1066mhz). I am going to get a HTPC and then I started thinking that it might be useful to upgrade my PC at the same time and put the old parts in my HTPC. So I want to ask what you guys think of the components I'm about to get. I have thought about getting an i7 system, but it is just too expensive for me right now. This is what I decided on:

Q9550, gigabyte EP45-DS3 (is this a good enough mobo to clock the cpu to somewhere around 3.4ghz-4.0ghz?) 4gb kingston ram (1066mhz @ 5-5-5-15). I'm also upgrading to a corsair TX750W PSU and getting a zalman CNPS9700 for my CPU. I will be keeping my HDD, graphics card (ati 4850) and my nexus breeze 500 case. I would like to know what you guys think of this build. Is this build already "old tech", since there are the i7 cpus out there? And would you guys suggest crossfire for me (adding another ati 4850)?

What about the case, is there going to be somekind of problems with it, if i decide to go with these upgrades?

Thoughts welcome :)

Regards,

Jh

Not old-tech at all. Your hardware will be good enough, could maybe add another 4850 depending on what res you play at and which games you play. If you do play much at all. But anything at 1680x1050 or below, the 4850 should be enough.

Might wanna consider spending a few more bucks on the Gigabyte UD3x series mobo of your choice. Rock solid performers, and match up so nicely with 45nm quads.

Thanks for all the comments!

Ive been thinking about using Windows 7 RC, but i got windows xp 32bit aswell. PC might work abit better with Windows 7 though ;)

mobo looks nice. I will think about it.

Is my case going have enough space for all the components, especially thinking about CPU cooler?

And oh yea, about the EP45-UD mobos, is there any other good mobos available on that category,besides the EP45-UD3P? My budget is very tight so. :)

Thanks. :)

Edit: Pc is mostly for gaming, with 1680x1050 resolution.

Last edited:
Yeah, basically im looking for 'cheapest' mobo that can handle the clocking and stuff. That mobo looks really good, i might go with that one instead. Thanks

Back