• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my cpu is too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RTE

my AMD phenom II x4 940 BE seems to be getting way too hot. I did not overclock it at all yet. My case has good airflow... I even opened the side panel and blew a fan in there, but it did not help.

when my computer is idling, the cpu is around 40 C. as soon as I stress it a little, it goes over 50. under full load it can get over 60.

One thing that I suspect it could be is the thermal grease stuff that comes on the bottom of the heat sink. I had to pull the heat sink back off the cpu when I was building it, only to put it right back on. I am wondering if because I did that I should have applied more thermal grease?

I dont have any right now to test it, and I dont want to run out and buy it if it will make absolutely no difference.

If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it, as this is the first pc I have ever built and really dont know what I am doing.

my com:
amd pII x4 940 BE
radeon hd 4870
biostar TA779GX
Gskill 4 gb ram

when I touch the heat sink after the computer has been on for a good while it feels a little warm, but I wouldnt say hot. I took the heat sink off and put it back on again, but I am not seeing any difference in temp.

I also tried touching the heat sink after running a stability test for a little, while speedfan was reporting core temp of 55 C. It did not feel any hotter then when the cpu was idling.

another thing I have noticed is that when it heats up, it heats up fast. if the cpu is at 38 idling and I put heavy load on the cpu, it jumps to 50 in less then two seconds

Last edited:
if its the stock hsf clean it and the cpu with (alchohol 70+%) reaply paste preferably as5 or eqivelent reseat and ur off...ps dont use too much paste...

If you are using the OEM heat sink your temps are not too far off from what I would expect for a quad and they are below max safe temps stated in AMD tech info. If you are intending to OC then you will need a better cooler.

Hi this is my first post so sorry for any mistakes ive made.
Im having the same problems in Windows XP 64 it idles at 48oC and goes over 65oC in prime95 i havn't OC'd yet was hoping too until i saw the temps but when i run in windows 7 temps are at 38oC idle. I have installed C&Q on XP from AMD but still no luck have cleaned and re applied thermal paste an still the same, i have the stock cooler and was thinking i should buy an aftermarket one ? Any Help would be appreciated.

Back