• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Non-scientific Review of 120mm Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdagger

Registered
I measured airflow by running all the fans on my desk and waiving my hand in front of them. I measured noise and buzz with my ears.

Scythe S-Flex SFF21E $16.95 (49 CFM, 20.1 dB, 1200 RPM, .15A, fluid dynamic bearings)
Lowest airflow. Quietest. Least buzz. Used the least energy. Actual RPM 1250.

Noise Blocker XL2 $15.95 (58 CFM, 21 dB, 1500 RPM, .27A, sleeve bearings)
2nd lowest airflow. Audible buzz. Least energy efficient. Actual RPM 1500.

Scythe S-Flex SFF21F $16.95 (63.7 CFM, 28 dB, 1600 RPM, .2A, fluid dynamic bearings)
2nd best airflow. Loudest. Significant buzz. Actual RPM 1600.

Nidec Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15 $14.95 (58.3 CFM, 28 dB, 1850 RPM, 083A, double ball bearings)
Most airflow. Loud. Worst buzz. Worst vibration. Actual RPM 1820.

My Subjective Conclusion: The SFF21E is the winner for noise. It is the only fan that is not audible over my existing case noise. Unfortunately, it has the least airflow. The Typhoon has the most airflow, but is too noisy for my taste. Its buzz stands out and can be heard from the other room. It also has substantial vibration compared to the others. The SFF21F has almost as much airflow as the Typhoon and was the loudest. Still I prefer it to the Typhoon, because the buzz is less objectionable and it has much less vibration. I prefer whoosh to whine. Except for the cool blue blades, I do not care for the XL2 because its airflow is not much better than the SFF21E, and it is much noisier. It also is the least energy efficient (3x that of SFF21E).

Attachments

• Fans2.jpg
    Fans2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 99
Apple and oranges there. :)
You should compare all those fans with same RPM's. You cannot compare a 1850 RPM fan with a 1250 RPM.
Anyway thanks for your impressions. :)

Back