• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One Loop or Two?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lizard6172

Registered
I am new to watercooling and am on my first build. Right now I have a CPU waterblock, and a NB waterblock. I am thinking of adding a VGA block for my GTX 260. My question is whether I should create a second loop, or incorporate the VGA block into my current loop.

Here is what my loop looks like so far:

Swiftech MCP655-B Pump going to two(2) MCR220 Dual 120mm radiator's going to a GTZ cpu water block then a Enzotech NB water block.

The 260 isn't the hottest, it's single core too. With two MCR220's your CPU temp will go up a bit under load, but not a lot. You should be fine. It would be a great start, if you need a bit more cooling, then split the loops. But try it first.

EDIT: Wow, pushing that CPU. Yea, I'd go two loops, or at least a 320 and 220 in series to start. I'd be running a 320 on that CPU anyway, wow, good OC!

Thanks. Here is what my temps look like now. I have hyperthreading disabled to make it stable, and I am running my cpu voltage pretty high. But with the two radiators my temps are really good.

I haven't added the NB block yet, I will be adding that as soon as the parts get in (hopefully monday :) )

I am fairly new to overclocking, and this is my first watercooled setup so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ok, I don't know how to get my pic to post, but my core temps are all hovering around 55c on a full load after about 10 mins of prime.

I am new to watercooling and am on my first build. Right now I have a CPU waterblock, and a NB waterblock. I am thinking of adding a VGA block for my GTX 260. My question is whether I should create a second loop, or incorporate the VGA block into my current loop.

Here is what my loop looks like so far:

Swiftech MCP655-B Pump going to two(2) MCR220 Dual 120mm radiator's going to a GTZ cpu water block then a Enzotech NB water block.

If you're curious, and don't mind playing with your loop, you can give it a try and see what happens. I suspect, current trending aside towards dual loops, that you'll be fine, with perhaps slightly warmer coolant temps.

Got an idea. You already have two 240 rads? Shut the fans down to one rad, redo load test etc.. Thinking of heatloads etc the one rad is about 30% more than an GTX 260 needs. But you haven't added the NB block yet. Might be a decent test of what you can expect with the 260 and the NB added to the two rads you have now.

Good idea, but I am using the swiftech stackable radiators. I only have 2 fans in the middle of the two radiators.

I think that after talking with everyone though, I probably don't need to put a cooler on the GTX260. So cooling the CPU and the NB on just the one loop should be fine.

Very much okay. And stacking those two rads gives you more like 1.6 or 1.7 MCR220s, so you would be cutting it close anyway. Your CPU wouldn't like the GPU in the loop for sure. There was definate issues in testing with the stacked rads. Testers really felt more than two fans were needed due to the restriction of two rads, no matter how free flowing one rad was.

Not to hijack thread I was thinking about getting a block for my 260 but for the same price as a block you can pick up another 260 on ebay and sli....I plan on doing that instead of putting it on my loop

ooooh I saw a preview of the stackable radiators by skinnee. They aren't even close to 1.6. They are the same as 1 radiator at low speed and maybe 1.2 at high speed. I will edit when i find the link again.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/496599-xspc-rx360-vs-swifty-mcr320-5.html

my guess is that they will lower the restriction to be more like the thermochills. so unless you are limited by your flow speed due to restriction it doesn't look like the stacks will do much for you.

waiting on the full review will likely see what more than the 2 sammished fans will do

Last edited:
Back