• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Column & Heat Pipe Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only has two 6mm heat pipes. Even with the heat column I would be surprised if it performs as good as a TRUE with 6 pipes.

Yeah, some of the other heat column ones allready there don't look too impressive just thought Id stick it on here as it looked a bit different.

That has the potential to be a very, very good cooler. Thicker heatpipes transfer far more heat, there was an outfit some years ago that made a cooler with 3 U'd 6mm heatpipes (ala freezer7 pro) and one with a single 25mm heatpipe with the exact same fins.
The 25mm heatpipe was something like 8*c cooler.

So are heat columns like the hollow copper things on stock intel heatsinks or are they filled with something?

It's just a fat heat pipe with no bend, other then being larger diameter and not bent, it's just a standard heatpipe.

Heat pipes are filled with liquid (distilled water, I think). That's what makes them work. The heated liquid rises in the tube carrying the heat up to the cooling fins were heat is removed. The cooler, denser liquid then falls back toward the base, cooling the area as it does.

Last edited:
Usually very pure water for PC cooling stuff, nasa uses acetone as it works in a colder range, you can also use ammonia or alcohols or even lithium or sodium, depending on the heat range you need.

They're fascinating, i intend to build one and cool my shop computer with it one of these days.

Back