• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watch Hulu on HDTV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave_01

Could some suggest an economical solution for watching hulu on an HDTV that has component inputs?

Should I pick up a cheap/used video card with component outputs? Is there any way to send the signal over coax through the entire house?

I tried that X10 garbage; it is pretty much worthless!

Thanks

what was wrong with the x10 might I ask? Looks like it would be fine for something as low quality as hulu.

what was wrong with the x10 might I ask? Looks like it would be fine for something as low quality as hulu.

the x10 stuff i bought was complete crap!!!!!! I tried transmitting from my laptop to my TV (about 10 feet away) and got a terrible signal. I live in the city in an older building so i know there is alot of interference.... but this was pretty poor.

I should have sent it back...

I think I found a better solution. I think some kind of Network-attached storage (NAS) solution is the way i need to go. My DVD player can take a usb drive as an input. I can download the videos, drag and drop them to the wifi network drive, then watch tv. The good news is i can watch many formats including much higher quality than hulu.

Any good suggestions on a WiFi NAS Enclosure? I found one that takes 2.5" drive... but i would rather have 3.5.

Do you have an xbox 360 or PS3? You could stream to them from your desktop. Another cheap option would be the Western Digital set-top player. You either use a 2.5 USB drive or even a flash drive to move the media. The problem with cheap NAS's is you get what you pay for. By in large they do not work very well. Typically for what you spend on a decent wifi nas you could come pretty close to building a HTPC, particularly with the Ion based units coming out.

I was building e5200 HTPC units for not much more than $200 last winter.. obviously not all new parts ;)

e5200 $70
miniATX board $45 ($35 amir)
2x1GB ram $20
PSU $30
Optical $30
HD3450 with HDMI output $20
Cheap flexATX desktop case $5

Hard drives are so cheap now add that and an OS and your good to go (I had both laying around)

Back