• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 1366 cooling dilemma

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blurry

I was doing quite a bit of motherboard swapping today and not all my stock Intel HSF's pushpins made it through. I'll be getting a replacement stock unit ASAP, but I've also started looking at low-cost alternatives that cool on par or better than the stock unit.

• Scythe Mugen 2 $45.55 shipped

How is this unit? I saw one comparison which had temps pretty close to the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Would love a Thermalright, but the prices (Jab-tech) are:

• Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (/w 120mm fan) $77.51 shipped
• Thermalright TRUE Black 120 (heatsink only) $71.51 shipped

SVC:
• Noctua NH-U12P SE $78.47 shipped
• Thermalright U120E-RT $78.47 shipped

If it would be better that I stick with the Intel HSF rather than order an aftermarket unit that won't be much of an improvement (besides a superior mounting solution), I would rather do that. I will have to order this Monday to ensure it arrives by the end of the week, before I move.

Last edited:
Mugen 2 is very close to TRUE performance wise. It came with fan too.
Keep in mind that for TRUE to shine you should do a lapping and a washer mod, otherwise is just a decent heatsink.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211739

Short review there, might've been the one you read. My suggestion (off that, and price comparison), grab the Mugen 2.

However, if you do plan to Overclock, might as well fork out the little bit extra and grab the Thermalright TRUE, and grab a scythe fan perhaps. the fact that you have a i7 system means you'll want it to last a while, and why not give it the best you can grab?

I know I'm confusing, but if it were me, chance are, in the end after tossing and turning between the two for days on end, I'd grab the Thermalright True Black :p. Up to you, the Scythe won't let you down though if you want to grab the cheaper one. It's easily better than the stock unit. If you don't wanna OC, probably just grab that ay.

Goodluck

For the price of a TRUE, you could get a Mugen 2 and slap 4 fans on it--2 fans blowing in, 2 fans blowing out! Yep, one fan on each side!

I wonder if anybody has compared this "beefed-up" Mugen 2 against the TRUE with 2 fans?

Back