• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need PAE mode on a 64bit OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello,

Today I tried to disable hibernating on XP64 and I got this message:
The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
The system is running in PAE mode, and hibernation is not allowed in PAE
mode.

I read about PAE mode and if I understand correctly it's a way to let 32bit OS recognize more than 4GB of ram.

So do I need this 'mode' on my xp 64bit ?

Thanks

So why am I running PAE mode on a clean installation? Should I disable it?

My guess is that it is because DEP is enabled by default on x64 systems and the PAE is enabled as a carryover from 32-bit (PAE has to be enabled on 32-bit with hardware-based DEP).

In short, it's a bug.

Alright, I tried to disable it ( /noexecute=AlwaysOff ) but 'powercfg /h off' still gives the same message in my first post.

Anyways I guess there is no hibernation on xp 64bit?

Anyways thanks for the info Jon

Try /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /nopae instead.

Edit:

Nevermind. Read this. I've never used hibernation, but this is stupid.

Read the article and yes it's stupid.
I'm gonna leave it as it is, don't really need hibernation.. I hope running in PAE mode won't hit my performance though.

Surely the drives can handle 8GiB being written to it, but the way Mickey$oft codes stuff, you'll hit the hibernate button and come back hours later just in time to see the computer finally turn off after having written 8Gib^10 worth of (useless and unnecessary) data. :beer:

Back