• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 9800 GTX+ 1 gig $100 Back up Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scornduffer

I just bought this card from BB for a backup because my EVGA 8800 GTX died this weekend. Is this worth $100 asa money is tight and I can't spend anymore.

I just bought this card from BB for a backup because my EVGA 8800 GTX died this weekend. Is this worth $100 asa money is tight and I can't spend anymore.

sure its a great card, just kind of a waste if it's just gonna sit there as a backup. When I buy a backup card, its something old just so I can still use my comp incase I need to RMA.

for example, I have a geforce 6600 as a backup card

Well I think backup is giving the wrong perception unless maybe he's going to RMA his eVGA card in which case it's a good idea to get a cheap as possible PCIe card for use during the RMA process. Some people wouldn't want to go a week or two without any kind of game performance though.

EVGA RMA

sure its a great card, just kind of a waste if it's just gonna sit there as a backup. When I buy a backup card, its something old just so I can still use my comp incase I need to RMA.

for example, I have a geforce 6600 as a backup card

I need to RMA the 8800 640 gtx if I can find my scanned receipt but if not this will be a good card for now.

$100 is a great price for that card. A 9800 GTX+ is roughly equivalent to an 8800 GTX. It will be equal in some things, faster in some and slower in some. Basically the core and shaders are faster, but it has less memory bandwidth.

$100 is a great price for that card. A 9800 GTX+ is roughly equivalent to an 8800 GTX. It will be equal in some things, faster in some and slower in some. Basically the core and shaders are faster, but it has less memory bandwidth.

nah, the 9800 GTX would be the same as an 8800 GTX. The + is a smaller fab process, allowing for a cooler running card. This also gives the + much more overclocking room

Yeah, most 9800GTX's run several hundred Mhz more core/shader speed than a 8800 GTX. A 8800 Ultra would be closer to a 9800GTX.

Back