• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Visual Studio Being a Visual Pain in the @ss.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonkeyMhz

Ok, yesterday I have a beta version of my login application done. Which is irrelevant to this problem. My problem is all I had to do was add the Icon for the EXE and im done.

Now this is were a 5 minute job turned into to a 3.5 hour annoyance, I have my icon ready. (Using VS 2008 w/ .NET C++/CLI) I right click, in the Solution explorer in the resources folder. Add, resource, import, I click on my icon, it goes it. Looks good, I have my 32x32 icon and 16x16 icon and 48x48 icon. I run the application and oh boy! It displays the default icon!

I change the view to list view and I see my created icon. Pretty much after 3.5 hours of trying everything I'm still stuck, my icons display up to 32x32, so any icon under 32x32 shows properly. But the EXEs icon anything above small/list view shows the default Icon. I tried so many things.

However, late last night I dragged my exe onto my flash drive and the exe changed! To the proper icon!. Amazing!

However on the pc im developing on it still shows the icon wrong. Why is this? I tried doing a disk cleanup thinking its thumbnails in memory. And it still shows the wrong icon on that computer, and its annoying me. And I tried deleteing all the files and re-putting it on and no luck. Strange thing is if I create a icon that's anything like a smiely or a dog or anything and I put it in the project folder If I change the name to Icon1.ico, it displays as the default icon even though when you open it in adobe photoshop or visual studio it displays the icon you created and not the default.

Last edited:
Ok, yesterday I have a beta version of my login application done. Which is irrelevant to this problem. My problem is all I had to do was add the Icon for the EXE and im done.

Now this is were a 5 minute job turned into to a 3.5 hour annoyance, I have my icon ready. (Using VS 2008 w/ .NET C++/CLI) I right click, in the Solution explorer in the resources folder. Add, resource, import, I click on my icon, it goes it. Looks good, I have my 32x32 icon and 16x16 icon and 48x48 icon. I run the application and oh boy! It displays the default icon!

I change the view to list view and I see my created icon. Pretty much after 3.5 hours of trying everything I'm still stuck, my icons display up to 32x32, so any icon under 32x32 shows properly. But the EXEs icon anything above small/list view shows the default Icon. I tried so many things.

However, late last night I dragged my exe onto my flash drive and the exe changed! To the proper icon!. Amazing!

However on the pc im developing on it still shows the icon wrong. Why is this? I tried doing a disk cleanup thinking its thumbnails in memory. And it still shows the wrong icon on that computer, and its annoying me. And I tried deleteing all the files and re-putting it on and no luck. Strange thing is if I create a icon that's anything like a smiely or a dog or anything and I put it in the project folder If I change the name to Icon1.ico, it displays as the default icon even though when you open it in adobe photoshop or visual studio it displays the icon you created and not the default.

Probably because windows caches icons (idk this for sure, but it would make sense.) You could try deleting thumbs.db if it exists, or simply doing a refresh. Try compiling it to a differently named executable.

This is likely your problem.

Probably because windows caches icons (idk this for sure, but it would make sense.) You could try deleting thumbs.db if it exists, or simply doing a refresh. Try compiling it to a differently named executable.

This is likely your problem.

Thank You!. I think that solved it, compiling to different EXE name worked. :clap:

*Windows should really learn how to update their cached icons. lol.

Back