• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possibly the best USB device ever invented!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LOL, I would just love to see somone try to get on a plane with one of those.

"HES GOT A BOMB!, And its usb powered!". :eek:

it must have an external power supply, becuase standard usb port is not powerful enough to heat anything up. they are claiming 60 second cook time for a typical snack. at that speed it would need to consume at least 100w of power, weither it works by cell carrier frequency or conventional microwave using a magnetron, voltage converter, high V cap, etc.
theres no way a usb port alone can power that.

Well, it claims to run off a laptop, maybe it uses more then one usb port. I wonder how much it drains the battery.

4 different USB ports = 2A max (for example) and it may power a low power heating element reasonably but I doubt the claim of 60 seconds unless I see it first hand.

Even peltier needs a lot more than 2A to heat a cup of coffee in 60 seconds.

*** but *** as an electronics engineer I am dubious of the claim that it can be powered from a laptop via its USB socket - And all because a USB port can only supply 0.5amps max, at 5volts max, so that's just 2.5watts of power, and something like this gadget would need considerably more.

I just do not believe its enough to kick start the magnetron (or similar) into generating the amount of microwave energy required to heat liquid matter of similar size to a small cup of coffee that normally needs a 800w microwave 2 minutes to boil....

But I'd love to be wrong on this. - Tom, oxford, 09/6/2009 00:20

Exactly what I was thinking too, NO way that is going to Power it from USB

Maybe it uses the USB to charge an element / battery system prior to actually working?

Even so, it would still kill any laptop battery very quickly. It takes a considerable amount of energy to heat a cup of coffee just 10 degrees. A stupid invention if you ask me.

EDIT: I just did the calculations. To heat 10 ounces of coffee 20 degrees C requires about 23.4KJ of energy or about 6.5 watt-hours of energy assuming 100% efficiency. Assuming an efficiency of about 60% (more realistic) that's about 10.8Wh of energy for that one cup of coffee. The battery on my samsung X460 has a capacity of about 49Wh so its a bit impractical for it to be powered from a laptop.

EDIT: Screwed up my numbers. Thanks JigPu.

Last edited:
Not sure your calculations are quite correct Tophinater... I get the following:

Specific heat of water: 4 J*g⁻¹*K°⁻¹
Density of Water: 1 g*mL⁻¹
USB voltage: 5 V

Mass of 300 mL water: 300 mL * 1 g*mL⁻¹ = 300 g
Energy to raise 300 g of water 20 K°: 4 J*g⁻¹*K°⁻¹ * 300 g * 20 = 24 kJ = 6.6 W * h

Power required to produce 24 kJ of energy in 60 seconds: 24 kJ / 60 s = 400 Watts
Amperage required to produce 400 W over USB: 400 W / 5 V = 80 Amps

Capacitance required to hold 24 kJ of energy at 5 V: 24 kJ / (5 V)² = 960 Farad
Capacitance required to hold 24 kJ of energy at 200 V: 24 kJ / (200 V)² = 0.6 Farad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm a little leary of this microwave...

Clearly the USB port can't be the sole power source, since we'd need to somehow draw 80 amps. There can't be a capacitor bank inside of the thing because a 24 kJ bank is absolutely massive... A rechargeable battery would be the best bet since 6.6 Wh isn't much energy for a battery, but I'm still hesitant at you finding a way of pulling enough current from a battery that'd fit inside that thing ;)

JigPu

Not sure your calculations are quite correct Tophinater... I get the following:

Yep, your right. I accidentally used the specific heat from air from doing other calcs in the cooling forum.

Anyway, I get the same numbers you do. 23.4 KJ for 100% efficiency which would require a 936 Farad cap. In order for this thing to work it would have to have its own rechargeable battery which would be stupid because then you would be charging a battery from another battery. If this is the case it wouldn't need to draw 80 amps, just charge the battery in the microwave for a period of about 2.5 hours assuming a 0.5 amp draw. It would then draw the power from its own battery when operating. However, an even bigger question is how do you get the 5V from the USB port to the, I'm guessing, hundreds of volts for their modified magnetron/emitter.

Yep, your right. I accidentally used the specific heat from air from doing other calcs in the cooling forum.

Anyway, I get the same numbers you do. 23.4 KJ for 100% efficiency which would require a 936 Farad cap. In order for this thing to work it would have to have its own rechargeable battery which would be stupid because then you would be charging a battery from another battery. If this is the case it wouldn't need to draw 80 amps, just charge the battery in the microwave for a period of about 2.5 hours assuming a 0.5 amp draw. It would then draw the power from its own battery when operating. However, an even bigger question is how do you get the 5V from the USB port to the, I'm guessing, hundreds of volts for their modified magnetron/emitter.

Clearly they will simple make an adapter to plug it directly into your new USB powered Mr. Fusion.

- Blackstar

Back