• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 and Mediaportal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No issues or anything? It'll save me some cash on the HTPC if I can just use the RC until next March.

Not that I've seen yet, but it's only been up for little over two weeks. Also, some have reported that their MCE remote/receiver lost some functionality in W7 (FF/REW do not seem to work, along with some others).

My plan is to use W7 RC on my HTPC, laptop and maybe even my main PC until RC runs out next summer, because I have yet to find any outstanding faults with the OS.

Not that I've seen yet, but it's only been up for little over two weeks. Also, some have reported that their MCE remote/receiver lost some functionality in W7 (FF/REW do not seem to work, along with some others).

My plan is to use W7 RC on my HTPC, laptop and maybe even my main PC until RC runs out next summer, because I have yet to find any outstanding faults with the OS.

I was wondering about that...I'm going to us 7 RC on my htpc build and I didn't know if usage for that expired in October or later....sounds like about a year out huh?

It expires in July (2010) or something but Windows 7 will start shutting down every 2 hours around the end of March to convince you to buy a real copy.

I've ordered a Dinovo Mini, hopefully it'll work. I'll update when the stuff gets here and I get it all installed :santa:

It expires in July (2010) or something but Windows 7 will start shutting down every 2 hours around the end of March to convince you to buy a real copy.

I've ordered a Dinovo Mini, hopefully it'll work. I'll update when the stuff gets here and I get it all installed :santa:

Dinovo should work fine, I'm using a harmony 520 with MCE receiver with no issues....

The only problem I ran into is with HomeGroups and NOD32 firewall, solved by switching to learning mode for a day then back to automatic with user permissions. Not sure what, if any, FW you're running so just a heads up.

Dinovo should work fine, I'm using a harmony 520 with MCE receiver with no issues....

The only problem I ran into is with HomeGroups and NOD32 firewall, solved by switching to learning mode for a day then back to automatic with user permissions. Not sure what, if any, FW you're running so just a heads up.

The machine is strictly a DVD/Bluray 'jukebox' and will not be connected to anything, at least once it's all set up. Best firewall in the world :p

Just finished installing Win7 and MP, haven't set up any codecs or anything. Gonna have to figure out an easy way to load all the discs now. Hopefully it doesn't involve downloading 600 codecs and addons and such.

Getting really, really frustrated. I thought it would be simple enough, but no. I'm trying to use DVD Decrypter to copy my TV season DVDs onto a hard drive, then import them with the MP TV series plugin. It's just not working out. Googling for tutorials and docs has been basically useless.

Can anyone pretty please list simple steps to rip my TV season DVDs into Mediaportal?

OK. So you have to add .VOB to Mediaportal's supported extensions under configuration --> video. Did that. Now I need to figure out how to rip my shows so 1 file = 1 episode, with no menu or anything. Sigh.

For the most part, if you could get it to run under Vista, it will run under Windows 7. Many drivers that don't have updated bits specifically for Windows 7, you can just use the appropriate Windows Vista driver (32bit vs 64bit, etc). In most cases this will work to get things rolling. I haven't run MediaPortal, but I have Windows Media Center working with my ATSC capture stick under Windows 7 Release Candidate. It is on my development box and I tried hooking in the USB capture stick, and I installed the Vista drivers for it, and it just worked. Media Center worked with it and I had it scan for stations and it worked just fine.

Back