• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Case Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gamerdad76

Registered
Hello all..I just recently purchased a new case. Raidmax Smilodon. I love it but my temps jumped up between 6 to 10 degrees celcius. Now what I cant understand my old case and Ultra with a couple of 120mm fans stayed nice and cool and this one with dual 120mm fans along with 2 80's doesnt.I even added and extra 80mm I had laying around on the other side. I have rechecked and regreased my cooler and processor thinking maybe I goofed that up but still no go. No info on the fans that came with this case..no part,model or serials or anything on them and Raidmax support isnt the greatest. So what would be the best option new fans? Im not very good at fans except airflow so any suggestions would be great...I was thinking about replacing the CPU fan with a typhoon but they are to noisy from what I hear> Thanks

:welcome: to OCForums.

A few things that stike me right off the bat...
1. Post up your full system specs including and aftermarket additions (cpu/ gpu coolers, etc). Also mention which software you are using to monitor your temps with.

2. How is the wiring situation in the new case? Messy wiring can lead to poor airflow and dead spots that trap heat, resulting in higher temps.

3. Try running the system with the side panel off and pointing a desk fan/ house fan into the case and monitor the temps. If you have a large difference in temps between the side on and off, it can be indicative of poor overall case flow.

4. Likely, the Raidmax OEM fans are crap. If you are looking for a good value fan that has a nice compromise between cfm (airflow) and dba (noise levels) Yate Loons are highly recommended. Available at Petra's if you are located in N. America.

Ok here we go. Im not sure how to put my specs and stuff in when i post on forums but heres the setup I have.
Biostar TA790gx A2+ Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 7750 Kuma 2.7ghz (was running at 3.2 in old case)
4 gigs OCZ DDR2 800mhz ram
Visiontech HD 3870 (stock numbers)
40 gb HDD sata OS drive.
250 gb HDD sata
Lite on HAS-120 DVD RW
Ultra 600w Powersupply
Raidmax Smilodon Case Extreme Black.
2 120mm and 3 80mm fans (came with the case)
I use mother board monitoring software that came with my motherboard and it seems to be pretty accurate. I have not tried to run without the sidepanal yet although I have a fan installed right across from me and the system blowing in that direction. The Wiring is clean...Thats a bid pet pieve on mine personally and almost didnt keep this style case because of it. I did get it cleaned up and tied away out of airflow. The cooler how ever is aftermarket...I think its a coolermaster hunk o copper type..I have never had a problem with it and even replaced the fan with a higher RPM and CFM at one time way before this case came along it was running at 32 to 38 degrees celcius. Ok I hope thats all the information you requested. I do run Vista 32 Ultimate and have been known to run x64 Ultimate. I do alot of gaming and audio work so now thats all .Thanks for the responce in my isssue.

What is the mounting system on that Coolermaster cooler? Is it pushpin, clips, or screws? Perhaps a bad mount?

Maybe try using CoreTempto monitor your cpu, this is one of the aftermarket/ overclocking standards for temp monitoring.

I know that its probably eating at you that the temps went up, but what are the temps like now? They may be well within the accepted thresholds. I understand that having a jump like that just by switching cases (and the new one has more than sufficient caseflow) is frustrating and would irk me too.

You can list your rig specs in your signature by going to the user CP and editing your sig ;)

Ok I DLed. that and its only reading one core...Under gaming load itll jump up to about 44-45 degrees C. ouchy..thats a stock setting reset my clocks when i saw how warm it was getting. As far as the cooler it has those AM2 style clips that hook on one side then you push down the level on the other...its still real tight and I wish I had another to test it out.Im wondering if I added a new fan..polished up the bottom and tried again it would help...I did order the fans you recomemmded for that case thanks for that..good price to. So if you was to replace the 80mm cooler fan what would you go with...I was honestly thinking the Tornado fan...if its cool I could care less about how loud it is thats what Logitec makes the surrounds speakers for :)
thanksa again man for your help.

Getting kinda late here in Korea, one last thing that I can think of tonight is checking your cpu voltage setting in the bios. If its set to auto, switch to manual and set it to 1.2v or 1.25v (amd rating is 1.05 - 1.325v) and see if that makes a difference. Auto voltage settings notoriously pump more juice than needed and that can result in higher temps. Will sleep on it, maybe in the interim some other members will throw out some more advice.

EDIT: If you're game, try pulling off the cooler one more time, clean all old thermal paste from the cooler and the cpu w. isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free material (coffee filters ftw). Let it dry for a few minutes to ensure that it has all evaporated. Re-apply the thermal paste by placing a single dot of paste about the size of a small BB in the center of the cpu and carefully mount the cooler on top.

yea I am going to do that as soon as my son takes his nap today...(east coast usa time) I really wanna look into a higher CFM fan that way I can go back to my overclock settings..it was running like a jewel and wouldnt go past 38 39 c underload. Ifi Had the cash I would get a new cooler...but im not a fan (no pun intended) of big and bulking HSF coolers. Thanks again and get soem sleep so you can help me out some more hahaha. THanks.

I would just return the case and get one with better flow. I am surprised they still make cases with 80mm fans

The Case has a front and rear 120mm fans in and out...2 side 80mm fans and a single 80mm fan on the none clear side....Its a raidmax Smilodon if you need picks of it...I was in reference to the CPU cooler fan

I do not need pics of the case.

You changed cases and nothing else and CPU temps went up 6-10C.
My solution? Find one with better flow. Fans do not equal flow, although they are a component of it. A good design>High speed fans.

I run crappy fans on my case (NZXT Zero, its not a $50 dollar case like the smilidon, I think I paid $60 for it shipped used) and it works great, in fact the flow of the case is designed so well that if the sidepanel is not seated correctly (left ajar), my temps go up 3-5C

I paid about 79 bucks for it after all the rebates and crap iahd to go through..I was looking at the NZXT cases but when looking at cases its hard to find "flow" specs. I guess I got Burnt on this one cause I like the look of it....Being a father of many I dotn have the cash to buy another case so until then any recommendations to help till i find a better case and can afford it? Better Yet what If I cut a 120mm fan hole directly in the top middle to reduce some of the hot air LOL...other then that i really have no clue

What do the stock fan grilles on that case look like? If they are just a bunch of punched holes, I would recommend cutting them out with something like a dremel or a hole saw. Those type of fan grilles are very restrictive, and also help make the case noisy. Beyond that, I would go with some higher flow fans.

Yea I was thinking that 2 along with some better fans but Im still not clear on what to replace my 80mm processor cooler fan with...

What kind of cooler are you running on your CPU? I would highly recommend one of the tower type 120mm coolers like the ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme, Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (or Dark Knight, which comes with a nice fan and a bolt thru kit), or the Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer. These are all large coolers, but the performance can't be beat. I personally have a ThermalRight Ultra 120-A (non extreme) on my Q6600 at 3 GHz (333x9) running less than 55 degrees C loaded at 100% 24/7. Of course, living in Arizona keeps these temperatures fairly high.

Well those are nice but being on a budget right now I need to find a faster and cheaper fix...I think its a hunk of coolermaster metal and i had to replace the fan when i had it in my old case...it seeded to do fine till I got it in this one...so I figured I would ask the pros before I got another fan..and yes a nice fat cooler with a huge fan is in the futures plans ..just not able atm.

I paid about 79 bucks for it after all the rebates and crap iahd to go through..I was looking at the NZXT cases but when looking at cases its hard to find "flow" specs. I guess I got Burnt on this one cause I like the look of it....Being a father of many I dotn have the cash to buy another case so until then any recommendations to help till i find a better case and can afford it? Better Yet what If I cut a 120mm fan hole directly in the top middle to reduce some of the hot air LOL...other then that i really have no clue

I understand completely your situation. I try to buy mostly used stuff. But I have been burned before. I thought you had just gotten this case, and thought you could return it. I was not trying to make you feel badly at all, if I did so I apologize. I just recently got full time parenting of my three kids a couple months ago.

When I buy cases, I like to buy cheap ones and improve them as well. I will buy scratched dented and beatup cases if they are cheap enough because my power tools love to cut things :) I am no pro and my painting skills are not strong, but I do okay. And the more I do it, the better I get :)

With the zero there was not much to mod.. the only thing I did was remove some aluminum so I could run the HDD wires out the backside for manamgement purposes. (I did paint the top because it was scratched up and I still have to sand and paint one of the side panels that has a couple of gouges in it. But that is modding for aesthetics not performance.

the zero has room for 4x120mm in the sidepanel (overkill I have removed two, but DAC is definitly the best way to keep the CPU cool) One feeds the intake of the CPU and the other blows around the top video card and the chipset. The bottom front fan pushes cool air across the hdds to the bottom video card, two rear 120mm fans exhaust the top and CPU heat. The top also has an 80mm exhaust.

This is as close to a balanced pressure system as I can hook up. It is well balanced though as if the side panel is left "ajar" (either just leaning against the side of the case or on, but sticking out 1" in the back, the parts get warm, close the sidepanel all the way and it runs nice and cool.

Looking at the smilodon, I am not a fan of the placement of the 80mm side panel fans. about 8" to the right, and increase to 120mm would help a lot. an 80 can be used, but you are going to lose CFM and pressure.

120mm rear exhaust is essential. As already mentioned, most causes use a punch out design for fan grills. If you have little fingers around pick up some cheap wire fan grills and cut out that honeycomb design. (File it down for a neat smooth appearance) this helps flow and noise.

your CPU heatsink should be exhausting hot air towards the fan on the back of the case, the top sidepanel fan looks like it will be blowing int othat flow, rather than int othe intake of the heatinsk. (If you have a top down heatsink blower, then position side panel fan directly on top of it, if you have a blow through heatsink, than position sidepanel fan in front of the intake. this helps cool your ram too.

I but the bottom side panel fans towards the leading edge of the GPUs too.. it cools the top GPU and a little extra flow towards the chipset While the front panel fan cools my hard drive and bottom GPU.

Does not look like you have room to mode the rear panel for dual 120mm exhaust, if a case is not designed for it, it can be difficult (I did manage to squeeze it in on my rocketfish :) but it was a very ghetto mod though)

WOW :) Thanks for that info...I am going to read it over and over till its drilled in my head...I am also going to look for new cases as soon as the work picks up. But Im sure with a couple new fans and some modding in the right spots I might be able to get this alot cooler in the long run...If not I cant say I didnt try..Thanks again.

Back