• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Right, come on, out with it, all of you!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

I've started to notice a few Vista bashers have now started to praise Windows 7.

Who are you, and why is this?

I use XP and had bashed Vista when it first came out. But now with the sp's in place it is a lot smoother, so i guess I am no longer a Vista basher.

But I am a big fan of 7 I ran the beta for a couple of weeks until I couldn't stand being without my COD4 crack and the constant crashes of F@H so I switched back to XP.

7, in my opinion, is much much better than Vista. It is more responsive, the setup of almost everything is better, and boots twice as fast even in beta. So yes I praise Windows 7 and hated Vista.

I've been having copious freezing problems with Windows 7. I've only used Vista a handful of times and like it a lot more since all of the updates. But yea...I'm still leaning on XP until 7 fixes the problems I ran into

Ran XP x64 for a good while, was fairly stable. Ran Vista only on a laptop, had tons of bluescreens and other problems (including with both SPs) guessing crappy Gateway hardware problems, not sure. Run Windows 7 RC on both desktop and laptop now and yet to have one bluescreen, one random reboot, or even a slight studder in anything so far (used beta build 7000 and rc build 7100 on both).

So for me in my experiences Windows 7 has far outperformed both XP and Vista, especially when it comes to ATI video driver issues.

All the OSes I mentioned were 64bit as well.

Using Vista Ultimate x64 on the main and Win7 x64 (7100) on the backup. Impressed with Win7 over Vista as it's alot more streamlined and performs alot faster. Thinking of switching over to Win7 on the main, but waiting on the final release.

I like vista, but it's just bloated with useless crap.

And yes I was a Vista basher back during the XP days, lol.

Never was a Vista basher, but prefer V to Mojave (7) :p

7 was quicker, but that is no longer the case, they were running streamlined for the early builds butthe newer builds are bogging down (comparatively). When it is RTM I will give it a thumbs up or down, but not before then.

Vista will continue to be my OS for a while, once they get teh bugs worked out of 7, and software publishers are on board, I will make the switch probably.

I've started to notice a few Vista bashers have now started to praise Windows 7.

Who are you, and why is this?

I loved Vista and am loving 7 but I can certainly see why some people really disliked Vista. And since 7 is a much better optimized OS I can see why those that hated Vista would like 7. Doesn't seem so hard to me.

Personally, I bash every Microsoft product, not just their Os'es - which I find suck in some way shape or form through every version from windows 1.01 (1.00 was so horribly buggy it never shipped) to windows 7.

I see windows 7 as Microsoft trying to polish the turd (vista) and get a good gloss on it so people will forget about how lousy their software is.

I never used Vista, just beta tested it back when; wasn't really impressed- a bit annoyed actually. Win 7 is an improvement, not nearly so annoying as Vista. However, Windows 7 won't be in my shopping cart...ever.

On my main gaming rig, I have all OS's installed. For attempting to break benching records, I use XP. It yields a 1000K+ higher score in 3dm06, and 10FPS more in crysis, etc. I know that doesnt really make vista or 7 a bad OS, but I think it says alot about whats going on with system resources in the background.
I like XP because I am used to the interface, its simple, great hardware compatibility, drivers work great, installs fast, etc.
I like vista because its newer, prettier, supports dx10, its the future, its x64 support is great, (even though I have not been able to see the perf. inc with that either).
I dont like it because it takes me longer to move myself around in it, the interface is more complex, folder views dont stick, and it boots slower.
I have high hopes for 7, and I hope that after a few service packs and after its final edition is released it will be even better than it is now.

I have W7 installed on one machine and while it has some nice features I find it has momentary pauses where the typing buffer doesn't keep up. For an I7, 3.6ghz, 6gb system, I find that super annoying.

Why does it have to keep asking me if its ok to do the same thing I just told it was ok to do before - can't it remember what I'm doing and allow repeated actions to bypass the security -- stupid. Security is good, but some common sense would be nice.

Boot up times are impressive -- but then I haven't installed the same piggy apps yet, time will tell on that one.

Installation went incredibly fast compared to XP!

I liked Vista x86, it worked fine for me and I never had any problems with it. Vista x64 for some reason didn't work well for me at all, although it might have just been that the installation got screwed up from the start.

As for the W7 RC x64, I've had more issues than with Vista x86, but it is an RC after all so I'm not too worried. Also, the overall speed of W7 x64 compared to Vista sets it apart in my mind as well as the streamlining that was already mentioned.

I haven't used XP in awhile, so I don't really use it as a reference. Also, my last XP system was XP-M 2600+ 1gb RAM based, compared to my present QX6700 2gb RAM.

My sister has Vista on her HP with dual core and 2GB of ram. It is painfully slow to do things on it. I installed Win 7 RC x32 on it. I noticed it ran faster and more efficiently with win 7 compared to vista. With Win 7, it is almost as smooth and fast as my XP machine, which is a single core running 2 GB or ram. Win 7 does not seem as bloated as vista is.

Back