• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stepping into the SSD world!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunel07

Hi,

Ive been hearing a lot about SSD and ive done a bit of research. In the future I would also like to make a fully silent PC so this seems like a step in the right direction. Im going to have a SSD for windows and perhaps dual boot linux - and then a large harddrive for my programs and files as a temp solution.

My questions are:

1. Out of the companies that currently make them, which are the best options. I dont have a lot of money at the moment so the Corsair 128GB looks really tempting.
  2. Do they offer significantly better peferormance than normal HD's, because I wouldnt see a lot of point upgrading if they dont. Ive read some reviews, and some results show higher benchmark scores, but other reviews show them almost identical to current harddrives.
  3. Is it worth waiting - are there going to be any important new releases in the next couple of months - or is it too hard to tell at this point.

Thank you!

or gskill falcons as they are the same as the vertex or the kingstons that are the same as the intel ones heard the corsairs/samsungs aren't bad either

I got a SuperTalent UltraDrive ME 64GB and it's rocking. Same as the controller used in Vertex ( Indilinx )

or gskill falcons as they are the same as the vertex or the kingstons that are the same as the intel ones heard the corsairs/samsungs aren't bad either

Actually, believe it or not, the Gskill is fastest. I dunno why but I have both and the Gskill is faster in every benchmark across the board. I think there must be subtle differences in the firmware upgrades.

Ive always been curious about RAID on those or maybe timing tweaks, I know there are even PCI drives avalable. The can hasn't been opened yet in my eyes.

Back