• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MARCI

Okay.. I put myself on the mercy of the court here..

I need a suggestion for the BEST cooler for my e8400. I would prefer not to have to modify the heatsink to achieve the best results.

Also, I would like a suggestion for a Cooler for my GTX 260 (216)

What's the recommended case fans for my Rocketfish.

TRUE or Megahalems for the CPU heat sink

Thermalright HR-03 GTX for your 260

as for the case fans, what do you want in terms of price/noise/cfm?

just my $.02

I'm a big fan of the Xigmatech (and similar) coolers. They're inexpensive and work well :).

I second the Xigmatech coolers. As Moto said, inexpensive and top performers.

I need a suggestion for the BEST cooler for my e8400. I would prefer not to have to modify the heatsink to achieve the best results.
Prolimatech Megahalems, Scythe Mugen 2, CoolerMaster V8.

For VGA you can take a look at AC Accelero Extreme GTX 280.

As for case fans from Yate Loon to Noctua/Noiseblocker. We need a budget. I'd suggest a Scythe Gentle Typhoon. Very good price/CFM/noise ratio.

+1 for the Xigmatek Dark Knight for bang for you buck
for top of the line stuff though :
True Black (looks better than the normal IMO)
Xigmatek Thors Hammer
Coolermast V8 (maybe, not a huge fan)
Megahalems.

for case fans hmmm...
Scythe S-Flex?
actually, as a case fan, Scythe Slipstreams are decent. 1200rpm versions push out ~70cfm.
but if you get some fans for your new Heatsink, Scythe S-Flex fans will help push air through the tiny gaps between the fins.

I just got a TRUE(lapped) not that long ago and dropped about 15 CPU degrees (under load) total with push/pull 120mm fans. I just put in some Scythe 120mm 1200 RPM Slipstreams and they are QUIET! They are the 69-70CFM, quiet and push a lot of air. They are so quiet I bought the 110CFM (1900RPM) to replace them less than a week after I got them. For me 1200RPM were TOO quiet. I would rather have some tolerable niose and more CFM/cooling, but if you'd rather have less noise I'd go with the 69CFM/1200RPM Slipstream. Buy 2 or more from the "egg" and shipping is free!
oc7.jpg

I just got a TRUE(lapped) not that long ago and dropped about 15 CPU degrees (under load) total with push/pull 120mm fans. I just put in some Scythe 120mm 1200 RPM Slipstreams and they are QUIET! They are the 69-70CFM, quiet and push a lot of air. They are so quiet I bought the 110CFM (1900RPM) to replace them less than a week after I got them. For me 1200RPM were TOO quiet. I would rather have some tolerable niose and more CFM/cooling, but if you'd rather have less noise I'd go with the 69CFM/1200RPM Slipstream. Buy 2 or more from the "egg" and shipping is free!

did you look at the S-Flex fans? if you did, just wondering why you went with the Slipstreams.
i have some slipstreams in my PC (2x 800rpm on my TRUE) and i regret buying that speed, i so shoudl've got the 1200 rpm version. it's so slow i can easliy stop the fins with my pinky touching it lightly.

but i've read that the S-Flex fans with higher static pressure pushes more air through the TRUE because of the small space between the fins.

i did look at the S-flex. the s-flex are probably a better overall fan. sealed bearings i think. the only thing is they are a little more rpm, but less CFM and more db (noise), but you get a longer lasting fan for a little more money. i don't mind replacing after 30,000 hours (8 years?). probably won't even replace them. who keeps pc's for more than 5 years now anyways? better quality for s-flex, probably...

Wow... Dito, thanks for pointing those fans out! I will definately get three or four of those next time I do my computer shopping! 110cfm @ 37dB sounds good to me. :thup: I see intake, exhaust, push and maybe I could rig up a pull on my sunbeam. :beer:

i did look at the S-flex. the s-flex are probably a better overall fan. sealed bearings i think. the only thing is they are a little more rpm, but less CFM and more db (noise), but you get a longer lasting fan for a little more money. i don't mind replacing after 30,000 hours (8 years?). probably won't even replace them. who keeps pc's for more than 5 years now anyways? better quality for s-flex, probably...

According to all of the tests I've read, the S-Flex are quieter than the Slipstreams in terms of real life usage.

Back