• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Add another 9800gx2 or move on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

Does anybody know where to find any benchmarks comparing quad sli with two 9800gx2's vs sli 275/285? I already have a 9800gx2 and one can be got on ebay for about 175 bucks. Should I just sell mine sli two 275/285's?
Seems this is like the 4th fastest card still but everyone has forgotten about it. Is $175 worth it to add another? I really do not know what to do.:confused:

The card does not have enough memory to offer a increase in performance, and driver issues are more common in quad sli, so I would go with dual GTX285's, GTX275's or a GTX295. Or a HD4870X2 as the price is really low for a very strong card.

From what I remember it doesn't scale well, but I'm interested in this too. I'll have to go X58/i7 soon anyway, I may look to another Gx2 aswell

Yup it didn't scale well in ALLOT of things...but in some it rocked.
This card, even though still top tier, has been discontinued and
forsaken:eh?:

But we have an investment and I would love to see what is what.
This is not on any tom's hardware chart unfortunately, and I wish
I could find some benchies to look at....maybe the only way is to buy an extra from eBay, bench the two and sell it back if unnacceptable...hmmm:D

The card does not have enough memory to offer a increase in performance, and driver issues are more common in quad sli, so I would go with dual GTX285's, GTX275's or a GTX295. Or a HD4870X2 as the price is really low for a very strong card.

I am not so sure of this actually. I know that the 1gb is devoted to the two gpu's on the card, so it is only in effect a 512mb card. BUT, in quad SLI it is two cards in effect, each with 1gb....i have seen benchmarks that show that while there is no real fps gain at lower resolutions, when you pump things up is when the deal really pays off and that has almost everything to do with memory.

Hm personally I'd just sell it and move on to GT200. But I'm not a fan of the "scales awesome in some games, bad in others, with some driver issues" thing at all, that's why I probably wouldn't use a 4-GPU setup (maybe 2) until the multi-GPU issues get fixed in the future... not even sure if the new gen cards will offer that; saying they will fix them and actually doing it is very different.

I guess if you're lucky to only happen to play games which don't have issues with quad-SLI then it's not a problem. But I can't tell you which games will have issues and which won't until they come out and are tested.

I am not so sure of this actually. I know that the 1gb is devoted to the two gpu's on the card, so it is only in effect a 512mb card. BUT, in quad SLI it is two cards in effect, each with 1gb....i have seen benchmarks that show that while there is no real fps gain at lower resolutions, when you pump things up is when the deal really pays off and that has almost everything to do with memory.

Still only 512mb, so at 1920x1200 in crysis it hurts the performance loads as it needs about 700-800mb or more. Sure it can pay off, but you can see it's fps drops off by a large amount with high AA/AF.

It's still only 512MB per GPU. Each GPU needs it's own memory bank, and since each GPU is rendering a nearly identical scene (just 1-2 frames ahead or behind) then each memory bank ends up being filled w/ nearly identical data.

That's why they say you only have 512MB of effective memory.

I'd recommend moving up to GT200.

Back