• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

av8 crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shogun1964

Registered
everytime i go past 226 on my htt, set at either 9 or auto my computer crashes so bad it losses a file needed to boot so i have to reformat. i have to drop it back to 1.8 before it will let me reinstall windows. i have a opteron 165 with 1g ocz platimun at 2.3.2.4. a wd 120g sata hardrive hooked to 8237 driver. i know this thing can do more than 2007.0 any suggestions? bios 1007.

Hi & welcome

The Multiplier Factor (default x5) should be lowered to x4.
The AGP Ratio should be changed to 66/33 fixed.

Is the RAM just Platinum, or Platinum Rev 2? The non Rev 2 Platinum isn't well known for overclocking. You might need to lower the DRAM frequency to 166, then you can leave the timings at 2-3-2-5. If you are running Rev 2 set the RAM 1:1 and try 2.5-3-3-5.

Last edited:
thanks

just put my wife in hospital, but will try to do as you reccomend. thanks.

thanks

its fluid on her heart again. thanks. one question before i go back to hospital. if i drop my multiplyer to 4 and the highest my board goes is 300, wont that leave me with a speed of 1200? this is my first attempt at oc and my computer crashed twice where i had to reformat, im getting scared.

if i drop my multiplyer to 4 and the highest my board goes is 300, wont that leave me with a speed of 1200?

Drop the multiplier again to 3x once you go much above 250mhz. You generally want to keep the HTT speed around 1000mhz, give or take... usually staying on the low side if you can, but most chips can do up to about 1100mhz without trouble.

Oops, yeah that's the CPU multi, not the HTT multi. Sorry about that. :eek:

I downloaded the manual & found a BIOS section called LDT & PCI Bus Control. LDT Bus Frequency is 1 GHz by default (HTT of 1000). You want to lower that to 800 MHz when the FSB is 201 to 249. You'll want to lower the LDT Frequency again if you get to 250 or higher FSB, keeping the HTT below 1000.

Have you changed the AGP Ratio to Fixed? Overclocking the AGP/PCI too far is usually what causes HDD corruption.

im doing as jlk says and so far everything is going great. really appreciate the time he took to help me out. thanks

just ran into a problem. after lowering htt from 1000 to 800 i was able to work up to 228fsb. which gave me 2052.0mhz and a htt of 912mhz. when i tried 229 fsb it wouldnt boot and i had to start back to the beginng. would upping the cpu voltage to 1.40 help make it a little more stable? the 66/33 agp setting saved me from another reinstall, glad about that. what do you think?

It's possible you just need to increase the CPU voltage, but you might be having RAM issues too. What is listed on the CPU-z Memory tab?

Have you tried running Prime95 Small FFT or Blend Torture Test for 15 to 30 minutes at 228 MHz? If you fail running the Small FFT then you probably need to increase the vcore. If you pass Small FFT then fail the Blend, you probably need to change something with your memory.

Be sure to monitor your CPU temperatures when running Prime95. It will really stress the CPU & create a lot of heat.

BTW Hope your wife is improving. :)

she is doing better, probaly comes home tommorrow. i will download prime95 and do as you say. 226mhz dram=cpu/9 cl-2.0 clocks trcd=3clocks trp=2clocks tras=6clocks trc=11clocks cr=1t dram idle=16clocks. memory timing on memory is 2.3.2.4

ok, ran prime95 for a couple hours, temp wen up to about 48c, left for a few minutes and when i came back it was locked up. had to push reset button and when came back on it said overclocking falure. pressed f1 to go back to setup to change setting but didnt and when i rebooted it started up just fine.

new info, my v.core is set at 1.400 but when i pull up cpuid it shows it going from 1.392 to1.408. it is a new 585watt power supply. i shouldnt need a bigger one, do i?

As long as you're not running a monster video card your PSU (if it's actually putting out that much power) should be fine. That small fluctuation you're seeing, ±0.01v, is perfectly normal and mostly a function of the motherboard power regulators. Even the best don't do better then that ... ;)

shogun1964 said:
226mhz dram=cpu/9
cl-2.0 clocks
trcd=3clocks
trp=2clocks
tras=6clocks
trc=11clocks
cr=1t
dram idle=16clocks
Try changing the CL from 2.0 to 2.5 & see if that helps. Which Prime95 test were you running? Blend or Small FFT?

Good news about the wife. :)

i did 229 fsb again and it locked up again. im beginning to think i got a bad bios.

i tried 2.5 but still no good. i think maybe my bios because in stead of getting the sgreen that says "overclocking failed" somtimes i have to remove my battery to clear the bios just to be able to get back into bios it locks up that bad. at least with the 66/33 agp setting i dont have to do a complete os reinstall.

Back