Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones
Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones For all your tiny computing needs.
Forum Jump

Annoying laptop problem - No display output

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 02:42 PM Thread Starter   #1
DanFraser

10 Year Badge

Annoying laptop problem - No display output

My gfs laptop was sabotaged by her ex. It had a missing display cable which I've replaced. However there is still no display showing, no boot screen or anything. It does work when plugged into a monitor, and a second or so after pressing the power button there is a change in the darkness/brightness in the display which makes me think that power is getting to it, but nothing else. Anyone got any ideas?

Corsair CX430M PSU Stock Intel Cool for now
DanFraser is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-12-09, 04:17 PM   #2
Aynjell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFraser View Post
My gfs laptop was sabotaged by her ex. It had a missing display cable which I've replaced. However there is still no display showing, no boot screen or anything. It does work when plugged into a monitor, and a second or so after pressing the power button there is a change in the darkness/brightness in the display which makes me think that power is getting to it, but nothing else. Anyone got any ideas?
If you look REALLY closely, or even use a flashlight you might notice you can see a windows desktop or login screen. that's not a burnin, that display is showing an image. What's going on is probably your laptop is lacking a backlight, a backlight inverter, or one of the two parts is bad.

Old 06-12-09, 05:20 PM   #3
MonkeyMhz

Did her laptop have a 8600M GT? or 8400M GS? If so then welcome to the group of those who have been screwed by a faulty GPU in a laptop.

That's what happened to me, 1600$ down the drain. Bought a Laptop, one day display didn't come on, diagnosis... Dead GPU from the faulty G84/86's. And LG said their warranty doesn't cover it, thanks LG <- Pricks. lol. They wasted my time too, they are like oh, get a analysis from futureshop 80$ later and they propose a ridicolous solution.

I hope its not that, but if her laptop had a 8400 or 8600 it most certainly could be. Do fans come on normal? does the hard drive look like its starting up, does external display work?

WD Caviar Black 1TB, Corsair 850w, Coolmaster 932 HAF.

Laptop Rig:
MSI-1721(GT735) Barebones/LTD/Certified Data
AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual Core @ 2.2Ghz
ATI 3850, 4GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Blu-Ray/DVD/All in One Player, 1920x1200 Native Res, 64-Bit Vista.
MonkeyMhz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-12-09, 06:33 PM   #4
Aynjell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMhz View Post
Did her laptop have a 8600M GT? or 8400M GS? If so then welcome to the group of those who have been screwed by a faulty GPU in a laptop.

That's what happened to me, 1600$ down the drain. Bought a Laptop, one day display didn't come on, diagnosis... Dead GPU from the faulty G84/86's. And LG said their warranty doesn't cover it, thanks LG <- Pricks. lol. They wasted my time too, they are like oh, get a analysis from futureshop 80$ later and they propose a ridicolous solution.

I hope its not that, but if her laptop had a 8400 or 8600 it most certainly could be. Do fans come on normal? does the hard drive look like its starting up, does external display work?
The display is changing in some form or fashion, and it displays to an external monitor. If it was a faulty GPU neither of these things will happen.

I'm almost positive it's a backlight related issue.

Old 06-12-09, 07:00 PM Thread Starter   #5
DanFraser

10 Year Badge

Well I can see something, but I couldn't truly say it was a desktop of some sort. It's just solid rectangle blocks are spread across the screen, and very very dimly too. There isn't any movement, I've had a go getting videos playing etc and it doesn't change

Corsair CX430M PSU Stock Intel Cool for now
DanFraser is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones
Laptops/Netbooks/SFF/Smartphones For all your tiny computing needs.