• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3-1600 w/ i7920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan Dolan

My ASUS P6T manual says that

"Due to Intel CPU spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

I've got 12 GB (6x2) of Corsair 1600 Dominator to install which gives me 2 DIMMs per channel. I have a 64 bit OS. Has anyone had a problem with this? There seem to be a fair number of 12 GB rigs out their with the i7 chips.

My ASUS P6T manual says that

"Due to Intel CPU spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

I've got 12 GB (6x2) of Corsair 1600 Dominator to install which gives me 2 DIMMs per channel. I have a 64 bit OS. Has anyone had a problem with this? There seem to be a fair number of 12 GB rigs out their with the i7 chips.
"supported" and "possible" are two entirely different terms. ASUS is simply covering themselves to say that if you can't get DDR3-1600 to run with 6 DIMMs, it isn't our fault and we aren't going to spend money helping you or willing to RMA your motherboard because of it.

this is the same thing as Intel only "supporting" up to DDR3-1333 but making DDR3-1600 possible through higher memory ratios. if your CPU decides it won't run the 2:12 ratio, even at stock BCLK, Intel will not warranty your CPU because is isn't "supported" even though it is obviously available and possible.

i have no personal experience with the P6T but as you said, seen a number of rigs running 6x2GB setups. you just won't get any support for it from ASUS, that's all they are saying. either way, Corsair would be the better place to go for support if you are having problems anyway...not sure how they handle it but Corsair is much better for support on the whole than ASUS is. HTH

Back