• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2TB Seagate drives in the wild

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BossBorot

I was browsing around the egg just now and low and behold there was a listing for a seagate 2tb external drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148417

after a bit of googling it appears seagate does indead have a 2TB drive now and a LP lineup of "green" drives.

It looks like these new LP series drives all spin at 5900rpm (with a listed 44% reduction in power consumption vs 7200rpm) which is great for a media drive. The LP lineup looks like it will be made up of 1, 1.5, and 2TB drives only.

The info on these drives have been in the wild for awhile now but its good to see another 2TB drive in the wild now which should hopefully drive down the insane price premium for 2TB drives

its a single drive in regards to the seagate however that 4tb monster xtkxhom3r posted is two drives

Ya I am aware of that basically the reason I am happy that Seagate finally came out with a 2TB drive is that prices for a 2TB drive should begin to drop with more then one company making 2TB drives now

aw man :( i thought it was a single drive that sucks.... i was hoping to get rid of my 2tb drives soon to get a 4tb singles

yeah, probably a while for that one. since they are just starting with 2TB drives, I'd imagine it'll be a little while before we see 4TB drives.

btw, Technolo-gic...Technolo-gic

IIRC currently Seagate, Samsung, and WD have a 500gb platter density available for their drives. Typically the most platters that you can put in a hdd is 5 meaning that all three companies could make up to a 2.5TB drive but they most likely wont until they bump up platter density again to reach 3TB with 4 platters.

Hitatchi is the company that most frequently releases 5 platter drives but this is becasue they need to in order to keep up as their platter desnities are usually one step behind. IIRC they are currently at 375gb density

Last edited:
And they still won't bring back half height or even full height hard drives? Half height is about 4cm or 1.5" while current standard hard drive are "low profile" or 2.5cm / 1" thick. Adding 1/2" would amount to 8 or 9 platters total, easily reaching 4TB in a single hard drive. The only issues would be it won't fit the small hard drive cage and users would have to install it in 5.25" bay.

Ya I am aware of that basically the reason I am happy that Seagate finally came out with a 2TB drive is that prices for a 2TB drive should begin to drop with more then one company making 2TB drives now

Same feeling here. If they can get them down to the ~$200 range then I will bite. Until then I'll keep buying 1.5TB's but I think I have enough room to tide me over until then.
Hopefully they didn't just add more platters and we can get performance like the 7200.12

They are the same platters but they will likely be "green" aka low RPM drives so the performance is not going to be there, their going to be storage drives only.

Back