• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Rails suddenly dropped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SCFAdamVcG

Hi people,I was wondering if you might know the cause of sudden rail voltage drops.

the 3.3v rail is down at 3.003 and the +5v rail is down and 4.790 although the 12 v one seems perfectly fine.

so,the pc keeps crashing and processor voltage is drooping pretty bad [from 1.392 volts to 1.367] ,i cleaned the psu out and the rails went up -

3.3v one to 3.260 and the 5v one to 4.971
2 days ago i also opened up the psu and cleaned the dust out,again the rails have gone dangerously low,any ideas?

it's really important because it's my brothers pc and he does a lot of work on it ,really cant afford for it to crash.

i beleive its a colorsit or an antec,i'm really not sure atm.
it's also 650watts,it's been fine up until a week or two ago.

any help would really be appreciated,thanks,Adam.

Something is coming apart, i would buy a new power supply as soon as possible.

Definitely sounds like it's going down hill fast. How old is the unit? Would help to know the part & model number as well for some research.

Well, I checked that the plugs were propperly plugged into the board,it seems to have stabilised but the rails dont quite seem as there were

[3.3v at 3.259 and 5v at 4.987]

the psu is a ATRIX EXTREME POWER SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY AC INPUT 15 VOLTS AC/230VOLT AC60/50HERTZ 650W

i noted all this off the psu.

Looks like your brother is not the only one having this problem. Check out this OCC review. Put simply, that PSU is junk and can't hold its rails. If I were him, I'd be looking at returning that unit and replacing it with a quality PSU asap. Have a look at the list of recommended PSUs in the sticky for some options.

Sorry, I did read that, yes, but I forgot prior to writing that post. Here, fixed: If I were him, I'd be looking at returning that unit and replacing it with a quality PSU asap.

Looks like your brother is not the only one having this problem. Check out this OCC review. Put simply, that PSU is junk and can't hold its rails. If I were him, I'd be looking at returning that unit and replacing it with a quality PSU asap. Have a look at the list of recommended PSUs in the sticky for some options.

Looks like a POS! And I seen "CS" caps bad in both Coolmax PSUs with those caps at a computer recycling facility!

Last edited:
Back