• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mugen2 & HAF 932

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quigsby

Hello,

I'm building a rig for a friend, using the Mugen2 cooler and HAF932 full tower case. A couple questions for you:

The HAF932 has a hole on the motherboard tray which allows you to install a backplate without removing the motherboard. This actually doesn't work in the case of the Mugen2 since the backplate is HUGE. I had to remove the motherboard and install the backplate by flipping the motherboard over. One concern I have though is that the corner of the backplate comes in to contact with the motherboard tray. Most of the backplate is in the area cut out by the backplate hole, but some of it goes between the tray and the board. Should I trim the motherboard tray so it fully clears the backplate? (Here's a pic of the backplate from Newegg).

Also with the Mugen 2, it came with what looks like a film where the backplate comes in to contact with the back of the motherboard, should I remove this? I tried to see if it would peel off but I wasn't having any luck so I thought it may not. I referred to the directions and they don't say anything about removing it.

On a related note, the G.Skill PI memory I'm using uses tall heat spreaders. Using the Gigabyte UD4P motherboard and the Mugen cooler I'm having an issue of the top sides of the heat spreaders on the memory on Bank 1 coming in to contact with the Mugen 2 heatsink. Is this an issue? Should I trim the heatspreader on the memory to clear it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ram heatspreader coming into contact with the cooler shouldn't pose a problem. I had the same issue with my TRUE on a board I was using. The heat spreader should not be coming into contact with any of the conductive parts of the ram module anyway. As far as the Mugen backplate goes the same should be true. The backplates I have worked with have a layer of plastic on the board side to prevent grounding and I don't think the screw holes are grounded either so it shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the film you speak of is for electrical insulation purposes.

Started up fine, so no issues with grounding or anything like that. Heat seems fine even with 1 fan not yet hooked up. The only other issue I probably won't know about for a while is that film on the front of the backplate that mates to the motherboard.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't have a HAF but have a buddy that was wanting me to build a computer for him and I liked that case, probably might have tried one myself but had just bought a Antec 1200 when they came out. I like windowed opening they had on the case for heatsink mounting, several features actually, couldn't it have just been Dremel tooled out ? Kinda glad I did go the 1200 to be honest, I smoke and have several kittie's running amok here, these filters get a bit clogged sometimes, hehe.

Anyways was curious, I liked the look of that CPU cooler and was thinking of recommending it to him, didn't realise the backplate on the Mugen2 where that big, I was recommending the same setup to him.

:beer:

Last edited:
Back