• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scheduled Backup/File copy utility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pred02

Registered
Hi,
I have a DLink DNS-323 in RAID01 which I use as a file server to store my pictures, home videos, and other content.

Seperate from the DLink I would like to - on another computer on the fixed network - set up a file copy from the shares so we have a 3rd independent disk that we can physically swap out.

I know Acronis would do it, but I am looking for a simple and reliable file copy/sync utility which would - as scheduled - make sure that certain files are copied over and are up to date on the 3rd redundant disk.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a utility that can do this? The reason why I do not want Acronis is because I do not want the backup to be in a propriatery format.

Thanks!

SyncToy?

You can also use RoboCopy. It has both file monitoring and scheduling built in. I've linked the GUI version, but it has many more options when run from the command line.

Jon is correct, that is all I use to back up my main computer to my laptop and server.

If a file hasn't changed after the first back up then it doesn't get backed up again, only new files and changed files.

I have mine set up as a batch file, but with schedular you can set it to run anytime, after your virus scan would be best that way you will know your files on the other computers are clean.

:)

Back