• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Bluetooth Headset/Mic for PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dathaeus

Registered
Hi all, another question... I recently got a bluetooth headset for my phone, which works great. I also got a mic/headset for my PC that plugs into the sound card... then I was thinking, since I have a bluetooth dongle, why dont I just use the bluetooth headset for both? I do some gaming but the quality is not paramount, and the PC headset I got is not a great one either...

So first I would like your thoughts on using the bluetooth over the PC mic/headset, and then, how do you make the default sound device the bluetooth? I cant find any way to disable the regular speakers. Thanks!

I've tried using my bluetooth headsets that I normally use for my phone for gaming (Ventrillo, and Teamspeak). Both headsets a Plantronics Explorer 360, and a Plantronics Explorer 220. I pretty much stick one in my ear from time I get up to the time I hit the sack, so sometimes I have to swap them out mid day depending on the status of the battery charge.

With both programs, the incomming audio was fine. But, the outgoing audio was of poor quality. Granted, I bought them for use with my phone while I'm in the car, I need my hands to be free to type or while I'm working on a system, but I had the same idea as you. Why not use it for gaming. For the headsets I have, they didn't function well enough for me to use while gaming.

There could be all sorts of reasons for this. The headsets I bought were not really meant for computer use, could be my USB bluetooth dongle (MoGo Bluetooth® Adapter). Could be the software that comes with the dongle to manage the bluetooth connections, etc... The list goes on, and on, and on.

As for how well it would work for you, I would just try it and see. Configuration depends on what operating system you're using, and/or what program/ingame settings are available. In XP to make it the default audio device you would have to go into your "Sounds and Audio Devices", and set it from the drop down menus to be the default device under the "Audio" and "Voice" tabs. I would assume Vista would have a similar setting, I just can't remember where or what it's called off the top of my head.

Generally speaking though, a wired headset will be better if you're doing it as cheaply as possible.

Generally speaking though, a wired headset will be better if you're doing it as cheaply as possible.

Excellent! Exactly the type of info I needed, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I guess I wont know till I try it so we'll see, I still have like 20 days until I can return the corded PC headset...

i use my jawbone,motorola s9 on my pc for gaming all the time

the s9 is awesome because its a stereo headset so i get audio and mic functionality and it has real nice bass too :)

i have a cheap bluetooth dongle from ebay the dongle it self works fine but the software it came with was crap the only way i was able to get everything working was with BlueSoleil real good software i highly recommend it to anyone thats trying connect any type of bluetooth device to their pc

i use my jawbone,motorola s9 on my pc for gaming all the time

the s9 is awesome because its a stereo headset so i get audio and mic functionality and it has real nice bass too :)

i have a cheap bluetooth dongle from ebay the dongle it self works fine but the software it came with was crap the only way i was able to get everything working was with BlueSoleil real good software i highly recommend it to anyone thats trying connect any type of bluetooth device to their pc

Ya exactly... thats why.. I have a stereo bluetooth headset too, and people I call say call quality is excellent. Not sure about the bass yet. And I have a cheap dongle too, but I am using BlueSoleil so hopfully this will work fine. Thanks!

i couldnt get blue soiloioliiiol or what ever its called, to work with any of the games, infact it took some time and some searching though the beta drivers for my AnyComm usb 500 that would work in windows vista, then i had a problem on the game end...

for examply UT2004 had no problems, COD4 always had problems. it would work ONE TIME and then i would have to uninstall and re install to get COD4 to use it again, i could pop open windows recorder and record my voice through it still after this, it was totally on COD4s end.

now i havent tried any of this since SP2 came out for Vista, supposedly its native bluetooth functionality was restored but i am on clearwire now and well...no gaming for a while

What exactly is bluetooth and how does it work a cell phone?
I'm getting the Virgin Mobile Wild Card cell phone for Christmas and on the site it says it has "bluetooth wireless". What exactly is that and what do they mean?

What exactly is bluetooth and how does it work a cell phone?
I'm getting the Virgin Mobile Wild Card cell phone for Christmas and on the site it says it has "bluetooth wireless". What exactly is that and what do they mean?

Hmm really? Bluetooth has been around for over a decade as a neat wireless tech used mostly for computers, cells, and electronic devices... have u head of google or wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

Back