• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best PS Tester

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All those "testers" do is see if the voltage is within spec. That is with no load at all, making the test practically worthless. It would only tell you if the PSU is completely dead.

The real way to test it, is to hook it to a system, put it under load and test the voltages with a good multimeter; no software.

Are you using this as a professional's tool or just want to check for DOA and that all the rails are putting out juice? The reason I ask is because you can get the ones that just light up with LED's for half that.

I am just trying to nail down the reason for a dead system and have it down to the mobo or ps. I suspect the ps and want to save the aggravation of tearing out my board. Something to check the mobo for power would be nice. Maybe a multimeter would be the way to go?

Last edited:
A multimeter will do anything that will do and a lot more. If you already have one, don't waste the money on this. If you don't, spend it on a multimeter instead. If you need to know how to start up & quickly test a PSU, have a look here.

I'm looking for a good all around tester and would like some opinions. I'm leaning toward this Rexus:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705003

I've also heard good things about Antec and Coolmax as well.

Thanks in advance

From experience, with a distributor that sent one over for me to try. It's pretty useless. All it really does is read the voltages on the lines. Like thideras said, without a load across them, you may as well get a multimeter and test like in the article hokiealumnus linked. Seasonic does manufacture a power test kit that has a load simulator. Review of the kit. They do mention in the review that the kit is not availible to consumers.

Thanks you all for the great advice. I will definitely be looking for a multimeter.
Are they all pretty much created equal?

Some are better than others, but for the most part for your purposes, yes. I've got one of these, one similar to this and one similar to this ($6, $6 & $22, respectively). They all read the same.

If you're really interested in testing one out, it will take an electronic load bank. I'm in the process of building one to begin PSU reviews, if you fancy checking it out. Keep in mind that schematic is VERY basic and doesn't contain all components, just what was used in the functioning prototype.

Back