• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a freaky internet game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WHOH!!! uhhh that IS strange!!!

I did it like 6 times!!!! I am absolutly baffled!!! please let us know how you guys think this works!!!

Last edited:
******************* SPOILER ALERT!!!!!******************************

******************BACKUP SPOILER ALERT!!! (incase you missed the 1st one)***********

****************** LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!****

Simple

There are only a few number of correct answers.

10 - 1 -0 = 9
11 -1 -1 = 9
12 -1 -2 = 9

25-2-5=18
26-2-6=18
27-2-7=18

36-3-6=27
37-3-7=27
28-3-8=27

See the pattern? all the possible answers are a multiple of 9, so all the possible answers are the same gift and the rest is randomized.

9,18,27,36,45,54,63,72,81,90,99 are all the same gift.

*edit sorry to take the mystery out of it on the 3rd post...

Last edited:
hehe I noticed something while playing it but I don't wanna spoil it yet :D

edit: dang it ozzlo u beat me to it

ohh, so there's only 1 correct answer every time.
but they got it wrong the first 2 times i tried :santa:

i chose 69 (yes...i know) so then minus 15..which is 54.
the first time it, square 54 was exercise book, but it said pen and pencil :shrug:

it workde the 3rd time thuogh lol.

******************* SPOILER ALERT!!!!!******************************

******************BACKUP SPOILER ALERT!!! (incase you missed the 1st one)***********

****************** LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!****

Simple

There are only a few number of correct answers.

10 - 1 -0 = 9
11 -1 -1 = 9
12 -1 -2 = 9

25-2-5=18
26-2-6=18
27-2-7=18

36-3-6=27
37-3-7=27
28-3-8=27

See the pattern? all the possible answers are a multiple of 9, so all the possible answers are the same gift and the rest is randomized.

9,18,27,36,45,54,63,72,81,90,99 are all the same gift.

*edit sorry to take the mystery out of it on the 3rd post...

this expains something I didn't notice but it doesn't explain how the thing does what it doeds because I've gotton more gifts than that one.

ozzlo showed how it works, but I'll just give a slightly more formal mathematical proof quickly.

Any 2 digit number is made up of a multiple of 10 plus an integer, which can be written as 10a + b, where a and b belong to the set of positive integers.

Taking the two digit number and taking away both digits, you get
10 a + b - a - b
= 9a
9a is always divisible by 9.

Each time you play, the game picks a random gift and assigns it to all the multiples of 9 on the grid (9,18,27... up to 99). Therefore, since you always end up with a multiple of 9, the game always "guesses" right because all the multiples of 9 have the same gift.

ozzlo showed how it works, but I'll just give a slightly more formal mathematical proof quickly.

Any 2 digit number is made up of a multiple of 10 plus an integer, which can be written as 10a + b, where a and b belong to the set of positive integers.

10 a + b - a - b
= 9a
Each time you play, the game picks a random gift and assigns it to all the multiples of 9 on the grid (9,18,27... up to 99). Therefore, since you always end up with a multiple of 9, the game always "guesses" right because all the multiples of 9 have the same gift.
I made run through the script. I chose 99... I am out a regift...:D I like to pick non-prime numbers. Oh...... Or a number that can prime towards 42.

10 a + b - a - b
= 9a

When ozzlo said that I understood that. I said my question remains because what if you got a number that wasn't a multiple of 9?

wow. that game is just plain terrifying. It correctly guessed Johnny Depp, Neo, Bilbo, Charlie from Lost, and ... (drumroll here) Zeb Atlas. Wow. I had NO idea. I was really trying to stump it with Zeb, and it totally got it.

When ozzlo said that I understood that. I said my question remains because what if you got a number that wasn't a multiple of 9?

You can't. Any two digit number, minus the sum of it's own integers, is a multiple of 9. Doesn't matter what number you pick.

Science Man said:

If you follow the games directions, you can't get anything but a multiple of nine. If you were to just pick a random number it would most definitely be wrong, assuming that the number you chose wasn't a multiple of nine.

but any two digit number minus the sum of its two digits is going to be a multiple of nine.

As far as Akinator goes, first I chose something easy, Indiana Jones, then, being the Warcraft nerd I am, moved onto WoW characters. Guessed Thrall, Varian Wrynn, but didn't guess Fathom Lord Karathress.

Back