• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CCleaner registry cleaner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

Does anyone use the registry cleaner in CCleaner? Would it potentially "break" anything by using it?

Is there a better tool for cleaning out old registry folders/keys?

Another necro for me. Just curious what the benefit of using the registry cleaner is. I guess I've just been using it because the feature is there, but I honestly could never tell the difference in the before and after :shrug:

Not much honestly. Most will tell you to stay away from them. They can do more harm than good. I have never touched a registry cleaner, and never will.

never backed up a registry that I cleaned using it and never once had an issue.

Same here and I've used it for years. Windows update is one of the worst for leaving broken links in the registry. Which is mostly what Ccleaner removes.

Eh, the registry cleaner on it is a little eh, then again all registry cleaners are, although the fact that it prompts you to backup every time is good. I did use it every time I used the normal cleaning part of CCleaner but I stopped recently, never had a real problem but when I was having my random restarting issues I tried to minimize all possible harmful things that I could possibly do on the software side and registry cleaning is definately one. Now that I solved my issues you reminded me to use it again XD

EDIT:

Oh shark, another bump, lol

Last edited:
Wow this is an old post. CCleaner's registry cleaner is pretty safe, but like most say, there isn't often much reason to use one. However, it is a pretty good way of getting rid of references to software/installers that no longer exist and other little things. But you won't get a noticeable performance boost from it.

I personally use SlimCleaner. IMO it's a much better, faster system cleaner. It cleans more than CCleaner does, and it does it faster. And before anybody says it, no it doesn't clean anything unsafe. I've been using it for 3 years. That being said it is a powerful cleaner. You need to customize the cleaning options or you may remove custom start menu orders or other stuff like that if you don't pay attention. It will blast what you tell it to. I use it probably once every 2 weeks or just whenever I notice things starting to run a little slow. If you're a 1337 web surfer like me, you can probably clean gigs of junk data in just 2 weeks time. I think the most I've ever removed was ~12 gigs of junk but I think that was in a months time.

This is a thread from 2009.

CCleaner is good for quickly cleaning cookies / web browsing history, a lot of us don't use it to "clean" the registry since we've established that registry cleaners in 21st centuryare what snake oil was in the 19th century.

But to quickly clean your browser cookies/history, CCleaner is great:
Copy the program shortcut to another location > Right click on the program shortcut > Properties > Next to Target:
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO
> OK
to create a new shortcut that would start the program, clean all, then close the program.

I used the AVG cleaner and ended up having to reinstall everything.
Including the OS.
It was a nightmare.

3 YEARS + Plus here no problems at all, just a tip in using the Ccleaner for SSD's turn off the "WIPE MFT FREE SPACE" in the Options. AJ.

I still use it, but mainly for older computers or ones that I just removed a lot of junk from. Once I have done so, I then wrap up by running CCLeaner + Auslogics Disk Defrag (has shutdown when complete feature), reboot and done.

Back