• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lowering my water pump voltage...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Ripper

Registered
Is there any way I can run my XSPC Laing 18w pump at a voltage lower than 12v? It's pretty damn loud. I only bought it because the lower wattage version was out of stock and I needed my computer back up running quickly. I've got it sat on some foam to dampen the vibrations. My last XSPC pump (abeit less powerful) was silent but it eventually died.

I'm guessing it's powered straight from the psu as it draws too much current to be powered from the motherboard. tried the 7v mod but wasn't enough voltage to get it going.

I'd rather not get some resistor type unit installed as I don't like the idea of pointless heat generation. Might try doing a mod to the psu / 4pin connector to do 12v -3.3v = 8.7v.

If anyone has any better ideas please let me know :)

You can prolly adjust voltage with a fan controller/rheobus. It will lower the voltage thus lowering the fan speed. Same principle. It could work.

Because it's an 18w pump, you might have to use a sunbeam fan controller which is rated for 20w each channel. You'll have to mod the molex connector to the pump to a 3pin.

How low can it go remains to be seen tho. You'll prolly get it to like 9v which will still work and be less noisy. In theory anyway. Any lower voltage and the pump will most likely fail to run.

When I was setting my loop up and getting rid of the air I used my dad's power unit (which he uses for his amature radio and anything else electrical) and I was varying the voltage and it worked fine. Can't remember the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure at around 8-9v it worked and was silent (could feel and see that it was pumping).

So basically lower voltages do work and help with the noise. Just need it to happen while in my case :)

Hmm, if you can find some radio/TV repair shop in your area, you can probably find a Variable (adjustable) resistor for 12v DC. You just have to make sure it's a high amperage one.

It's like a dial you splice the wiring on the pump and solder it on. Then you set it on high, which is the max on the 12v line, power up and lower it to your liking.

I remember having TV/radio repair shops having these, but it's been years since I've seen any. Maybe you can be lucky.

I think there's an online shop that sells electronic components like this, but I can't remember who.

Running a pump on too low of a voltage could cause excess heat, as the motor trys to spin w/o the proper operating voltage..

Try putting some sound dampening on the mount for the pump, or making some kind of enclosure for the pump using something like Dynamat (used for sound dampening in car stereos). Youll get the proper pump performance as well as a quieter pump.

Also be aware that pumps (just like fans) often have different voltage requirements for running than they do for starting. Just because you can reduce the voltage slowly and the pump stays running doesn't necessarily mean that it'll start up from a cold start at that voltage setting.

Good point, Jeremy!

This is a very important point you must note. Otherwise, your parts will overheat.

Running a pump on too low of a voltage could cause excess heat, as the motor trys to spin w/o the proper operating voltage..
Try putting some sound dampening on the mount for the pump, or making some kind of enclosure for the pump using something like Dynamat (used for sound dampening in car stereos). Youll get the proper pump performance as well as a quieter pump.

Also be aware that pumps (just like fans) often have different voltage requirements for running than they do for starting. Just because you can reduce the voltage slowly and the pump stays running doesn't necessarily mean that it'll start up from a cold start at that voltage setting.

I concur on both accounts.

Back